OFFICE & PEOPLE OPERATIONS MANAGER
Role: OFFICE AND PEOPLE OPERATIONS MANAGER
Reporting To: Directors
Based In: Shoreditch Showroom, remote work not available
Working Pattern: Monday to Friday
The Office & People Operations Manager is responsible for leading, delivering and supporting the People and Culture of House of Hackney. This is achieved through innovation, design and delivery of the human resource policy, process and activity that empowers the House of Hackney team to deliver the organization’s vision and mission. This position provides operational proficiency to the Directors and senior management while setting policy and procedure and coaching a dynamic team of 40 people. As a key member of the senior team you lead the organization in employee relations, talent management and policies development. The Office & People Operations Manager is also responsible for overseeing facilities management and travel management and is the organizational lead for health and safety policies.
- Strong brand ambassador. Leading by example in behavior to positively inspire the team through good and more challenging times demonstrating unparalleled flexibility and optimism
- Represents the House of Hackney brand and core values, setting the standard for the wider team and upholding the setting organizational tools and company initiatives to support these values
- Research, source and manage external talent (Artists, Speakers, etc..) to support ‘House of Hackney’ initiatives
- Actively recommend, plan and manage business organizational culture initiatives and opportunities
- Providing a broad HR generalist knowledge and liaise with line managers on individual HR issues, advising the best course of action in each individual case
- Acting as staff point of contact in respect of the organization’s complaints, whistleblowing and raising concerns processes.
- Research and develop policies identified as gaps or as directed by the Directors and General Manager to deliver and strengthen the ‘House of Hackney Culture’ and org operational strength and set up. Roll out and receive buy in from all employees on updated policies and procedures
- Developing effective communication tools and processes to streamline business.
- Conduct regular surveys or feedback activity with the wider team leading their analysis to drive positive people operational change
- Overview each team member’s annual leave and absence recording to ensure both are set up correctly and logged throughout the year in accordance with company procedure
- Illness – ensuring correct protocol is followed (see Company Handbook) with illness of team member logged on system
- Proposing, planning and monitoring of learning and training initiatives.
- Work with Senior managers to ensure a world-class recruitment and onboarding process that acts as a starting beacon for House of Hackney
- Compiling letters and communication as required throughout the employee lifecycle, including performance reviews, remuneration changes, disciplinary or grievance procedures, hand book or policy updates and ensuring all employees have understood and returned signed acknowledgement where appropriate.
- Annual handbook and policy update to reflect changing needs of business
Facilities (London Office, Stores and Trematon Castle):
- Ensuring all staff are welcomed and are provided a safe and inclusive work environment.
- Responsible for responding to new working practices and understanding the impacts on working spaces and the workforce wellbeing (such as during the Covid emergency).
- Overview of the management of the office space and working environment (and remote working environments, as much as is possible), including security, maintenance, refurbishments, renovations, space and resource allocation and management of 3rd party contractors.
- Ensuring the delivery of a professional facilities service, to include reception, reactive buildings and grounds maintenance, office supplies and consumables, security and related office services.
- Being responsible for ensuring the organisation complies with its health and safety responsibilities and fulfils these correctly.
- Broad IT knowledge and initiative in troubleshooting IT issues while also working with an external IT support team
- Maintain and monitor office stock and archive.
- Maintaining the highest possible working environment standards, ensuring the wider team are adhering to clear desk policies, deliveries are moved and housed quickly with no build up of items within any working space.
- Supports the Directors and Senior Management in delivering all business objectives by carrying out background research and offering administrative support when needed to key departments
- Be a trusted advisor to Directors and senior management
- Own weekly schedule ensuring key daily and weekly tasks are being actioned while upholding the Goals & EOD (End of Day) /EOW (End of Week) process
- Negotiates effectively for the brand ensuring best possible outcome is achieved with external supplier. Actively chases in answers and resolutions where responses are delaying business activities
- Plan and lead House of Hackney Sample Sales while being proactive in offering suggestions for logistics improvements and an attentive price negotiation throughout the trading days
- Monitor selling platform such as Ebay, Etsy (etc..) weekly and report listings which infringe on House of Hackney T&Cs of sale
- Review market competition to flag brands which look to replicate the look or aesthetic of House of Hackney, composing appropriate response to send out as a sign off
- Support the planning of Brand events with stock, packing and shipping management. (such as photoshoots, trade shows) Ensure ‘event kits’ are kept up to date and contain all necessary equipment to execute set up
- Manage office/locations budget for adhoc spend- ensuring anything above or beyond BAU is signed off by Directors or GM
- Monitor office supplies inventory and place orders
- Manage event budgets, ensuring sign off on spend amounts by Directors or GM
- Manage and coordinate certifications and sustainable goals (Bcorp, Queen Awards, etc..)
- Own travel arrangements (Flights, Trains, Hotel, etc) for both Directors and team while overview of all aspects of travel relating to cost effectiveness.
KEY DEPARTMENT INTERFACES:
- The role interfaces closely with Directors and General Manager while being a inexhaustible source of support for the senior management and key departments
- Production and Operations
- Global Sales trade
- Showroom, UK & US
KEY DEPARTMENT/POSITION TOOLS:
- Good PC skills including all Microsoft packages – Word / Excel / PowerPoint, Google Workplace
- Articulates a clear vision in the day to day delivery of services by using the company tools: Business Goals, Weekly Goals, Task Tracker, EOD/EOW
- HR Timetastic
- Light use of Bright Pearl
- Light use of Appointed
- Proficiency in Google Workplace
- Proficiency in Trello
IDEALLY YOU WILL HAVE*:
- Minimum 5 years experience of working as an EA/Office Manager or HR role at management level.
- Proven capability of operating as a trusted advisor to Senior management
- Agility in thinking and practice to be flexible in ways of working and service delivery ensuring that the highest standards of integrity, effectiveness and efficiency are always maintained.
- An understanding of facilities management and health and safety legislation
- Excellent workload prioritisation and ability to multi task whilst maintaining high levels of attention to detail
- Positive disposition with a flexible approach and ability to work at pace.
- Gravitas and excellent people skills and the proven acumen to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities.
*The stated experience and background is a guide and does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
As always, there are some perks:
- 22 Days Holiday Allowance + Bank Holidays + Maundy Thursday and a half-day for your birthday.
- Seasonal 4 Day Week Scheme, Fridays off all Summer.
- Cycle to Work Loan Scheme.
- PayDay Drinks every month and at least two exciting team gatherings a year, we also celebrate birthdays in the office whenever possible.
- Our water is filtered because plastic bottles are banned from the office, plenty of herbal teas, coffee, fruit & cereals are available weekly for that morning snack.
- The team is hard-working and upbeat, we often help each other and there's very little we can't conquer together.
- 30% discount across HOH products and first grabs on sample sale items.
Our House is a home for everyone. We stand for diversity, equity and inclusion. As a culture led business, we aim to be an inspiring and meaningful place for people to work and as an equal opportunities employer, we foster an environment in which every person can grow, be heard and feel like they belong.
We believe in and strive for a fully inclusive, diverse, supportive and accepting workplace where we care about people’s physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. Our Housemates are open-minded people from a range of backgrounds and lived experiences who share our values and culture, and we are committed to continually learning and evolving, to ensure that our House remains a safe and fair space for all who come through its doors.
*Sorry, we are not able to offer visa sponsorship or remote working.