The Counselor Associate is responsible for implementing the annual strategic recruitment plan to attract and enroll first-year and external transfers to FIT's three undergraduate schools. The position is also responsible for the recruitment of internal transfers from FIT's lower-division to upper-division programs.
The Director of Admissions and Strategic Recruitment will determine the annual recruitment strategy designed to meet the inquiry and applicant goals in order to successfully enroll an entering undergraduate class in the fall and spring semesters. Based on FIT's annual enrollment goals for the fall and spring semesters, the Counselor Associate will be responsible for managing a recruitment territory that will include both primary and secondary markets throughout the country. Responsibilities will include both virtual platforms as well as in-person recruitment formats.
Recruitment activities will include visits to designated high schools, community colleges, and community-based organizations. Off-campus recruitment will also include representation at designated regional and national college fairs, national portfolio days, college nights, transfer fairs, and SUNY-sponsored events. In addition to off-campus recruitment activities, the Counselor Associate will fully participate in all on-campus recruitment events for current and prospective FIT
students and newly admitted applicants.
The Director will assign on and off-campus recruitment responsibilities to the Counselor Associates and monitor the generation of inquiries, applications, and enrollment databased on the individual assignments.
The Counselor Associate will also participate in administrative support activities, such as the review of New York State residency for selected applicants, as necessary in accordance with the needs of the Office of Admissions.
The Counselor Associate will represent the College in a positive and professional manner to its diverse constituents including prospective students, applicants, admitted students, college counselors, and parents. A professional relationship with these constituents is critical and requires the Counselor Associate to provide outstanding customer service throughout the recruitment and yield process.
Representing FIT requires a Counselor Associate to honor all of the standard and best practices of the admissions profession.
- Recruit new prospective students to FIT 's School of Art and Design, School of Business and Technology and the School of Liberal Arts.
- Engage with prospective students, parents and college counselors regarding FIT's academic offerings and student life opportunities as well as other aspects of interest during the college search process.
- Provide pertinent information to inquirers on admission to FIT including the SUNY process, academic credentials, and portfolio requirements.
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills are necessary along with the ability to present FIT in a positive way.
- The ability to deliver consistent information to FIT's constituents is a primary function of this role.
- Represent the College both on and off-campus and virtually to prospective students, parents, college counselors and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process.
- Plan and implement recruitment activities for assigned territories, including travel to sites in New York State and other domestic markets. This position requires the ability to travel independently to several assigned locations and to load and transport admissions materials and other equipment.
- Participate in all assigned admissions recruitment and yield events.
- In addition to specific admissions duties, the counselor associate will be expected to participate in administrative activities as necessary in accordance with the needs of the Office of Admissions.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university required.
- A minimum of one (1) year of undergraduate admissions experience in an accredited college or university.
- Experience recruiting high school and transfer students and managing a recruitment market/territory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituents in settings that range from individual to large group formats both in-person and virtually.
- Knowledge of basic technology, student information systems, and communication platforms.
- The ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a large team.
- The ability to travel independently to assigned recruitment events.
Read Comprehend- Frequent; Perform Calculations- Frequent; Communicate Orally- Frequent; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Frequent
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit- Frequent; Stand-Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Occasional; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift Additional Information:
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Salary Schedule 92
Hiring Salary: $60,685 per year
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, email@example.com.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Counselor Associate in the Office of Admissions.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.