Based in Montreal and/or Boca Raton, the Design Director is responsible for leading the design team and presentation of all related categories, overseeing advance research, final design and product execution. Must be capable to oversee a tight team executing fit, style, quality and comfort through the entire product development process. Furthermore, the Design Director will be responsible for the following:
- Work with the design team to develop category-based collection that is both relevant and consistent with the brand DNA and seasonal direction as set by the Creative Director. Utilizing advanced design skills to create original product design that appropriately reflects the Bugatchi design philosophy.
- Responsible for guiding the design team to research and develop their seasonal fabric and trim trends as well as product, graphic, and trend analysis relating to their respective categories.
- Organization of the overall design development of each collection, from concept through to production.
- Responsible for the design team meeting all dates and timelines as dictated by the seasonal calendar, relating to the lab dips, trims and bulk, strike off approvals.
- Attend cross-departmental project meetings and briefings on behalf of their team.
- Ensure that colour, fabric and trim approval process is carefully monitored and abides by a clear and deliverable process, showing continuity and reducing discrepancies.
- Working closely with internal art/graphic designer to create coherent and well executed print stories that relate to the overall seasonal theme, or brand direction.
- Ability to inspire and nurture creativity with the team, balancing a commercial understanding, relating to current business needs, while pushing the brand forward through innovative yet considered design.
- Encourage a collaborative work culture so designers share ideas across the team.
- Be a leader who can empower the team to take responsibility for their respective categories and objectives, setting clear expectations and giving constructive feedback.
- Strong knowledge of production lifecycle to implement and oversee a well-organized and streamlined design process, that allows deadlines to be maintained.
- Listen to the needs of the team and maintain a high level of professionalism and discretion with all team members.
- Continually share fabric and trim concepts with the team, inspiring and pushing development forward.
- Collaborate with Creative Director in general co-ordination on all aspects of the seasonal presentation, including assembly of all final sketches, first proto review and final salesmen samples.
- Attend and participate in seasonal sales meetings in support of Creative Director and design team.
- Oversee design team to complete on time tech pack submission.
- Domestic and international travel required to support both product development as well as key research.
- Work with the merchandising lead and design team to create collections that are developed in-line with seasonal merchandising plan that costs / margins are considered throughout development / SMS process.
- Analyze and optimize the initial seasonal merchandising plan, by delivery, as well as driving SKU productivity down to a concept level, highlighting and bringing to life the seasonal big ideas.
- Overall product assortment should reflect the needs outlined by leadership team, and the overall direction of the Creative Director.
- Hold regular check-ins with designers to ensure that deadlines outlined in merchandising calendar are being adhered to throughout the design process.
- Monitor, review and uphold the SKU plan.
- Be the constant voice of product continuity throughout the design process, ensuring that the product innovation and image is consistent in the designated category, alongside Creative Director.
- Support and manage the design team making sure that they are adopting the best working practices to efficiently use their time and to execute product efficiently.
- Attend relevant fit sessions and ensure alignment.
- Continually review the market and undertake comparative shop reports to standardize Bugatchi fits, with the aim of achieving comfort, consistency and best in-class fit offer.
- Seasonally review branding, logos and trims, working closely with the design team and vendors.
- Oversee seasonal development calendar & ensure critical sign off deadlines are being met.
- Bachelors degree or above in Fashion Design or equivalent with a minimum of 8-10 years in apparel design.
- 4-6 years managing the design process, and leading a team.
- Extensive knowledge of apparel design across multi products, including garment construction, fabric, colour, graphics and range planning.
- Excellent taste level and understanding of current market trends.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation communication skills.
- Excellent listening and communicating skills, both internally and externally.
- Computer Skills: proficiency in Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve departmental and corporate growth objectives.
- Strong analytical skills relating to merchandising and critical product assortment.
Due to the receipt of a significant number of applications, only selected candidates will be promptly contacted to proceed with our interview process and, therefore, we will be unable to respond to email, fax and telephone inquiries regarding your application status. Thank you for your submission and interest in employment at BUGATCHI.