Reporting to Fitness Supervisors, Group Fitness Instructors will be responsible for overall administration of assigned Group Fitness Classes.
- Teach assigned, discipline-specific group fitness classes
- Maintain CPR / AED and discipline-specific teaching certificates for duration of role
- Complete all institution-required trainings
- Foster a fun yet challenging class environment which includes opportunities for social interaction / working in groups as frequently as possible
- Arrive on time and prepared for class; greet students and introduce yourself prior to the start of each class
- Explain proper safety precautions prior to beginning each session
- Screen for injuries or disabilities and offer exercise modifications when needed
- Teach concepts / techniques students can use in their daily lives and help students reach wellness goals
- Clearly explain class concepts, instructions, moves and maneuvers and educate class on reason for and desired outcome of moves and maneuvers
- Allow for sufficient breaks for water or rest when needed
- Play varying music that captures student interest
- End class with announcements about the next discipline-specific class session being offered, other recommended FIT Group Fitness Classes, and a brief question / answer period.
- Meet with Athletic Director or designee at the beginning of each semester to discuss role / expectations and again at the end of each semester to discuss performance appraisal.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalency and completion of two years in an accredited post-secondary institution of learning.
- Adult CPR & AED and certification.
- Discipline-specific group fitness class teaching certification.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in exercise science, physical education, health, wellness, kinesiology or related field of study.
- Two (2) years' experience working as a group fitness class instructor.
- Experience teaching group fitness classes in a college recreation setting.
- Outstanding managerial, organizational, technological and verbal/written communication skills.
- Availability to teach special event classes outside of regularly scheduled class hours.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Occasional; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Constant; Write- Occasional
Office, Classroom or Outdoors
Sit- Occasional; Stand- Constant; Bend- Constant; Walk- Constant; Climb- N/A; Pull- Frequent; Push- Frequent; Lift Additional Information:
Days/Hours: M- TH, evenings, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Hourly Rate: $56.65 per hour
Terms: FIT Group Fitness Instructor positions consist of at-will, part-time appointments that last for one fiscal year, and do not carry any medical, annual leave, sick leave, or other fringe benefit entitlement.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled or as needed.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply online and attach the following documents; http://fitnyc.interviewexchange.com:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites certified Group Fitness Instructors in all disciplines including Zumba, Cardio Kickboxing, Hip Hop Dance, Latin Dance, Pilates, Barre, Spin, Yoga, Meditation, Boot Camp, HITT, Self Defense, general group fitness and other disciplines.
FIT Athletics & Recreation, an NJCAA DIII member institution, aims to support Fashion Institute of Technology in its mission to produce self-reliant graduates who are poised for a lifetime of success, and who will be a credit to the institution, their communities and the world. The department mission is to provide a safe and welcoming environment for student involvement, learning and school spirit opportunities enriching both body and mind as a way of promoting holistic health and wellbeing.