Administrative Assistant, Communications and External Relations
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 1 Feb 2023
- Entry Level / Assistant
- Full Time
As an integral member of Communications and External Relations, the Administrative Assistant provides
administrative support to various units within the division in adherence with established policies and procedures. The Administrative Assistant reports to the Special Assistant to the Vice President under minimal supervision, while performing cross-functional tasks and managing projects supervised by the heads of Creative Services, Government and Community Relations, and Media and Public Relations units. These tasks and projects include, but are not limited to, day-to-day administrative functions; database development/management; drafting correspondence; compiling and preparing reports, writing talking points, reporting the college's lobbying activities; a wide variety of operational logistics; city and state materials preparation, collection, and filing; and other duties as assigned. The Administrative Assistant must be able to engage in long-term planning while also comfortable in a quickly changing environment that requires frequent re-prioritization of tasks and projects.
- Work collaboratively with administrators and staff within the division and the college.
- Compose, proof, manage, and effectively utilize databases/spreadsheets and email lists, ensuring they are accurate, consistent, and current.
- Compose and proof correspondence, reports, documents, and newsletters, etc.
- Assist in filing bi-monthly, semi-annual, and annual lobbying reports, as well as submit annual and bi-annual registration documents as needed, to New York City and New York State.
- Assist in representing the college at public events and interact with legislative offices.
- Track project costs in consultation with the division's budget coordinator.
- Develop and maintain a system of tracking projects, tasks and deliverables, and following up with staff on assigned projects.
- Manage calendars, coordinate meetings, follow up on action items, take meeting notes, and prepare agendas and presentations.
- Set up travel arrangements and process expense reports.
- Exercise good judgment and discretion in establishing, interacting, and maintaining highly effective working relationships with extensive contacts (including administrators, staff, faculty, college students, the community, external contacts, support departments, etc.) in support of divisional initiatives.
- Conduct research, as well as perform special and ongoing assignments, projects and other duties as required.
- Provide backup to office support staff, as needed.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Associate's degree required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of administrative assistant support experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and discretion.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and proofing skills.
- Strong emphasis on attention to details and commitment to follow through on projects.
- Sound judgment in handling work assignments, priorities, and schedules with ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and to resolve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work independently and with detailed supervision, when needed.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Ability to represent the college at public events.
- Expert-level knowledge and skill in use of MS Office Suite (specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), DropBox, and Google applications, and type 55-60 wpm.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience working in higher education or government and community-centered environment.
- Experience coordinating executive calendar.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Constant; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Constant; Write- Frequent
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit- Constant; Stand- Frequent; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Frequent; Climb- N/A; Pull- N/A; Push- Occasional; Lift
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Salary Schedule 91
Hiring Salary: $55,644 per year
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for an Administrative Assistant in the Communications and External Relations department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for 70 years. Providing a blend of hands-on experience, classroom study, and liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
Among our wide variety of Art and Design programs are Accessories Design, Interior Design, and Toy Design; Business and Technology majors range from Fashion Business Management to International Trade and Marketing to Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. Our outstanding faculty offer students experiences that mirror the marketplace and give them a competitive edge.
Notable alumni designers include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Reem Acra, Brian Atwood, Francisco Costa, Norma Kamali, Nanette Lepore, Bibhu Mohapatra, and Ralph Rucci. Other prominent graduates include Leslie Blodgett, creator of Bare Minerals; international hotel and restaurant designer Tony Chi; Nina Garcia, creative director, Marie Claire; Edward Menicheschi, chief marketing officer, Condé Nast; and Joe Zee, editor in chief and executive creative officer, Yahoo Style.
The Museum at FIT, one of the world’s leading collections of fashion and textiles, houses more than 50,000 garments and accessories and more than 300,000 textiles and swatches.
Learn more at fitnyc.edu.
Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert