The Associate Payroll Director is an integral member of the Payroll Department. This individual is responsible for collaborating with the Director of Payroll to ensure accurate and timely payment to all employees. In the absence of the Director of Payroll, the Associate Payroll Director will assume all operational functions of the Payroll Department.
- Actively manage the payroll team to ensure accurate and timely payroll processing in compliance with established financial, legal, and contractual requirements.
- Manage the payroll processes; make recommendations and improvements to payroll policies and procedures to increase the efficiency of payroll operations.
- Coordinate in its entirety the completion of the semi-monthly payroll for various Payroll IDs.
- Monitor and audit payroll system processes, payments, data, and reports.
- Perform accounting code changes in Banner Job Labor Distribution for various payroll IDs.
- Manage relationships with FIT departments in regards to all payroll issues to ensure adequate planning, communication, and adherence to policies and procedures.
- Ensure strategic Partnership with Human Resources and Finance Departments.
- Coordinate the submission of semi-monthly and monthly payroll and yearly vouchers for Accounts Payable.
- With the Director of Payroll, meet with staff as a group to communicate departmental goals and objectives, in pursuit of continual process improvement and efficiency.
- Coordinate year-end payroll reporting.
- Participate in the process of college-wide salary increases mandated by the collective bargaining agreement.
- Conduct research for various types of inquiries from employees, managers and departments across the college concerning payroll related issues.
- Conduct research in response to emails and letters from internal and external agencies.
- Coordinate payroll trainings across the department in order to ensure payroll subject matter experts and the development of payroll manuals.
- Develop and provide advanced analysis, reports, and forecasts of critical payroll functions.
- Understand appropriate Federal, State, and City laws and regulations affecting payroll such as IRS and State guidelines, as well as FLSA laws.
- Liaise with IT on testing upgrades in the system.
- Collaborate with leadership team as well as with outside vendors to develop and launch new processes.
- Analyze processes and procedures to make recommendations for system enhancements and process improvements to drive improved accuracy and efficiency.
- Coordinate the coverage of the office front desk and the payroll-dedicated email address.
- Serve as a backup in the absence of the Director of Payroll.
- Ensure a customer service friendly environment.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business administration or related field required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressive experience in payroll operations.
- Experience with enterprise systems for managing payroll and human resources, including self-service.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong Payroll/HR Administration experience
- Excellent Computer Skills (i.e. Microsoft/Word, Excel/ V-lookup, Pivot Tables)
- Experience with HRIS/Payroll Systems
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and commutation skill
- Strong telephone and customer service skills
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Working knowledge of payroll policies and procedures
- Exercise a high level of professional discretion and confidentiality
- Master's Degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of financial systems (preferably Ellucian Banner).
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Frequent; Communicate Orally- Frequent; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Constant
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit- Frequent; Stand-Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Occasional; Climb- N/A; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift Additional Information:
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Direct Report: One (1)
Salary Range Transparency: $125,000.00 - $130,000.00 per year
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for an Associate Payroll Director.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.