Senior Director, Public Relations
- Banana Republic
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 12 Apr 2023
- Senior Manager
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer's spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what's next.
About the Role
Banana Republic is looking for a visionary Senior Director, Public Relations, to lead our Public Relations team. This leader will be a magnet of innovative ideas and will be responsible for leading Banana Republic PR efforts inclusive of cultural partnerships, collaborations, creative relationships, and overall growth of the brand footprint in culture.
Reporting to our VP, Marketing this role will be a culturally plugged-in and connected strategic thinker and will be an experienced leader responsible for driving Banana Republic's strategic edge and creative resonance. This role will be a true innovator, championing ideas and activations that will set new industry standards. This includes being both a thinker and doer who is adept at identifying opportunities for innovation and impact, partnering with the right celebrities, creators, emerging talent, and collaborators in exciting new ways.
What You'll Do
- Partner with agency to develop and execute public relations plans for Banana Republic - including, but not limited to managing media interviews and managing & executing PR / influencer events
- Lead annual and seasonal PR/external communications planning and execution inclusive of overall brand and seasonal strategies that champion the Brand narrative.
- Bring the global Brand vision to life by generating and fostering conversations around the brand by leveraging existing contacts, bringing new collaborations and partners, and fostering these relationships to grow the business and the brand.
- Play strong, senior strategic role in helping to shape and optimize Banana Republic's seasonal omni-channel marketing plan as key PR/external communications leader
- Cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences and persons of influence across areas of hospitality, travel, art, design, music, film, performance art, technology, and entertainment.
- Successfully positioning brand narrative with these influencers of culture to achieve a shift in brand perception and ignite interest in future partnerships.
- Create strategic scalable cultural influence & media approaches combined with big, bold never-been-done- before ideas
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the brand. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities, solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Ensure big seasonal brand and product ideas are powerfully brought to life through PR/influencer activations by partnering with Banana Republic creative/styling/production teams to concept, execute, and distribute seasonal "look books" and coordinate editor visits and events.
- Partner with agency, BR leadership team and/or Gap Inc. Corporate Communications to identify, manage and facilitate media interviews for Banana Republic spokespeople regarding business and brand initiatives, marketing campaigns, seasonal products/trends, events, and promotions, including potential crisis communication to mitigate risk.
- Lead our store-related PR/communications strategy and execution (partner with retail marketing team to continuously look for better ways to grow awareness of and drive traffic to our new and existing stores)
- Partner with agency to manage & respond promptly to product/sample/image requests from media. Manage agency relationship and budget.
- Lead all future IR-related communications in partnership with corporate communications and Gap Inc. IR teams
- Provide senior strategic PR/external communications thought leadership and expertise and guidance to Banana Republic's senior leadership/key spokespeople for select external speaking opportunities
- Negotiate and oversee contracts for partnerships and sponsorships, including contract renewals
- Lead Banana Republic's annual and seasonal influencer strategy to develop high impact, authentic relationships with thought leaders driving awareness, credibility, and relevance
- Create brand and business case for potential ambassador relationships and work closely with ambassadors and their management as well as Banana Republic leadership and legal teams to negotiate agreements.
- Partner with brand marketing and creative teams to ensure strategic integration of influencers and influencers across relevant marketing touchpoints
Who You Are
- 15+ years marketing/communications experience - lifestyle/consumer/fashion PR experience is critical; partnership/sponsorship management experience preferred
- Strong annual and seasonal PR/external communications/partnership/sponsorship marketing strategy development and execution experience and skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, understand business challenges and recommend effective implementation plans designed to drive results.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier cultural actors: reporters, entrepreneurs, editors, culture commentators, technology leaders, designers, architects, chefs, television and film actors, artists, musicians, public personalities. Successfully positioning brand narrative with these influencers of culture to achieve high-impact coverage
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- A knowledge of fashion, popular culture, and lifestyle verticals is a must
- Able to foster internal collaborations and exert influence, establish relationships, and nurture a network
- High comfort level and ability to powerfully thought partner with senior leadership team members
- Desire to build a brand and aptitude for original, creative ideas, open-minded to new approaches
- Experience with influencer strategies and programs
- Ability to interact, communicate effectively and collaborate with outside agencies and internal departments
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. In 2022, we were recognized by Forbes as one of the World's Best Employers and one of the Best Employers for Diversity.
Salary Range: $181,900 - $250,200 USD
Employee pay will vary based on factors such as qualifications, experience, skill level, competencies and work location. We will meet minimum wage or minimum of the pay range (whichever is higher) based on city, county and state requirements.
US CandidatesPlease note that effective, June 30, 2022, Gap Inc. will no longer require any of its employees to wear face masks or require proof of COVID vaccination, unless required by local or state/provincial mandates or as part of Gap Inc's quarantine guidelines after being exposed to or testing positive for COVID. Therefore, please disregard any language in any job posting that refers to Gap Inc.'s face mask and proof of vaccination policy as said policy is no longer effective.
Banana Republic is a global apparel and accessories brand focused on delivering versatile, contemporary classics, designed for today with style that endures. Through thoughtful design, Banana Republic provides a wardrobe of favorites to style and wear time and time again in new ways. Banana Republic offers fragrances, clothing, eyewear, jewelry, shoes and handbags with detailed craftsmanship and luxurious materials. Founded in San Francisco, Banana Republic is a division of leading global specialty retailer, Gap Inc. (NYSE: GPS). Customers may shop Banana Republic in more than 750 company-operated and franchise retail locations worldwide and online.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert