Senior Knitwear Designer
- Sydney (Region), New South Wales (AU)
- Closing date
- 13 Feb 2023
- Design - Garments & Accessories
- Senior Manager
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Zimmermann has an exciting new opportunity for a creative and technical Senior Knitwear Designer/Developer to join the Design Team.
This role will work collaboratively with the Creative Director and Design Team on the Knitwear category across both RTW and Swim & Resort product lines. You will be responsible for driving the direction of Knitwear design and development. You will also support the delivery of Zimmermann Knitwear collections alongside the wider Design and Production team from initial prototype through to bulk production.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a “hands-on” proactive approach and thrive working in a fast-paced team environment.
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
Knitwear Design, Sourcing, and Inspiration
- Drive the Knitwear design process, from inception to finalization under the Creative Directors vision.
- Research creative ideas, source reference material and maintain the design board.
- Provide input on the Knitwear design elements of each season under the Creative Director’s guidance.
- Formulate cornerstone ideas and pieces that distinguish each season in the Knitwear category across all design lines.
- Take lead to build on ideas to create groups of styles in each collection under Zimmermann seasonal range planning guidelines.
- Formulate stitch, colour and textural ideas, and new methods of construction to build and create new directions for Zimmermann knitwear.
Knitwear Samples & Production
- Provide clear communication to the factories to ensure their understanding of design proportions and finishes.
- Manage the development and production of the sample ranges for press and sales.
- Perform quality control of salesman samples and monitor sample collections in line with Zimmermann standards.
- Follow through all sample development from SMS to approved PPS.
Required skills and expertise:
- A fashion design degree from a respected Australian or international institution and have achieved outstanding results in both course work and in external competitions.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Knitwear Designer with nationally or internationally recognized luxury or retail brands.
- An understanding and connection with the Zimmermann brand aesthetic.
- The ability to demonstrate outstanding creative instincts and a distinct point of view.
- Strong design and communication skills.
- Advanced Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign skills.
- Excellent hand and technical drawing ability.
- Ability to work collaboratively with both senior team members and lead junior team.
This is an opportunity for applicants who strive for excellence within their chosen field.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Zimmermann is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment on the basis of their individual capabilities and qualifications ensuring a strong corporate commitment to diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.
Sisters Nicky and Simone Zimmermann founded their namesake label in 1991. They fast won a loyal following - smart, sartorially savvy women with an eye for quality fabrics and clever cutting.
Early in its evolution, Zimmermann took the bold step of fusing fashion with swimwear. Zimmermann’s bold original prints, beautifully made one-pieces and sculptural bikinis create a new point of reference in flattering, sexy and stylish swimwear. Zimmermann present their ready-to-wear collections each year in both Sydney and New York.
In Australia, Zimmermann maintains a collection of stand-alone stores across the country, creating seductive and dynamic retail destinations that reflect the brands modern and optimistic aesthetic. In 2008 Zimmermann also launched its successful online boutique at zimmermannwear.com.
The collections are stocked in stores internationally. Stockists include the iconic Barney’s, Saks 5th Avenue, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Harrods and Harvey Nichols. Zimmermann is also featured on the world’s premier online stores such as Net-A-Porter.
Demand from its growing international clients has seen the opening of Zimmermann stores in the United States. In 2011, Zimmermann opened its first US store on Robertson Boulevard, in Los Angeles. The brand now has five US stores located on Mercer Street in New York City, East Hampton, Americana Manhasset, Robertson Boulevard, and in June 2015, launched its new Los Angeles flagship on Melrose Place.
Zimmermann Headquarters are located in Sydney, while the brand also operates offices and showrooms in New York, Los Angeles and London. Zimmermann has been the recipient of multiple fashion awards, including the Australian Fashion Laureate award, amongst others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert