Legal Counsel - Intellectual PropertyAbout PVH Corp.
PVH is the growth platform for Calvin Klein and TOMMY HILFIGER. Through driving brand strength and relevance, we are connecting our global, iconic brands closer to where the consumer is going than ever before, today and with future generations. Guided by our values and enabled by our scale and global reach, we are driving fashion forward for good, as one team with one vision and one plan. That's the Power of Us, that's the Power of PVH+.The Team
With a cross-functional reach and hands-on mentality, PVH Europe's Legal Department delivers a full range of best-in-class legal services to the entire company. Headed up by the SVP Legal Affairs (General Counsel), the department is organized into the following teams:
- Corporate & Commercial
- Digital & Data
- Intellectual Property & Brand Protection
- Legal Operations
- Privacy & Compliance
Our dynamic team consists of 24 legal professionals of varying nationalities, backgrounds, cultures, and legal expertise areas. We work on a broad spectrum of issues on a daily basis, from looking into new designs or negotiating a celebrity partnership, to training customs officials to identify counterfeits, supporting our fashion-tech journey, balancing privacy concerns, and closing high stake commercial deals.
While our tasks may change from day to day, one thing remains constant: there is never a dull moment. We are passionate about what we do, and committed to delivering high-quality services under time pressure. Our positive and supportive team spirit means we always get the job done with a smile on our faces and we have fun while doing so. If this sounds like you and you are looking to join a lively team that is involved in all aspects of our business, then we'd love to hear from you!The Position
We are currently looking for a Legal Counsel to join the Tommy Hilfiger Global & PVH Europe IP & Brand Protection legal team. As Legal Counsel, you will provide practical, business-oriented legal advice to a fast-paced and demanding business. While intellectual property law experience is essential to this role, you must also bring a commercial mindset and a passion for fashion, sustainability, and innovation.
Your day-to-day responsibilities include the clearance of new product designs, marketing campaigns, and digital innovations; the development of trademark and design filings strategies to protect newly created intellectual property; managing enforcement proceedings against third-party infringements, and defending against third-party claims; drafting, negotiating, and interpreting a wide variety of commercial (contract) issues and transactions, varying in nature, complexity, and value, from a standard consultancy contract to high stake talent and brand collaboration deals, a trademark license agreement or addressing the intellectual property impact of emerging tech.
We are looking for someone with a "yes we can" mentality; a business partner with a commercial mindset always aiming for legally sound solutions to make the impossible possible.Key Responsibilities:
The Ideal Candidate:
- Together with the Senior Legal Director, develop strategies and best practices to protect and defend the Company's intellectual property assets;
- Advise the business on all aspects of IP such as trademark and design clearance, protection and enforcement, and IP aspects of new ventures and product launches;
- Manage all aspects of IP portfolio management, including trademark and design prosecution and maintenance;
- Manage criminal and civil proceedings against third-party infringement, including drafting and reviewing cease-and-desist letters, gathering relevant documents and materials, preparing and reviewing summons, and conducting settlement negotiations, whilst also defending the business against any third-party allegations of infringement against PVH;
- Advise the business in relation to copyright matters (including sourcing appropriate licenses, copyright clearance, and use of third-party copyright works);
- Review, draft and negotiate IP agreements, including license agreements, deeds of assignment, and settlement agreements;
- Partner with the Corporate & Commercial and Digital & Data legal practice teams to review, draft and negotiate IP-related aspects of broader commercial agreements;
- Engage with our business stakeholders to raise the level of IP awareness and conduct regular IP training for PVH associates;
- Monitor trademark, design, and copyright decisions, legislation, and policy worldwide, and identify opportunities where PVH should influence developments;
- Represent PVH at relevant industry organizations, and participate in appropriate committees and working groups to further our strategic objectives;
- Responsible for tracking, managing, and controlling legal spending to stay within budgetary guidelines, ensuring that fiscal responsibility is practiced and demonstrated.
Furthermore, The Ideal Candidate Is
- Passionate and knowledgeable IP lawyer with at least 5 years of directly relevant experience, preferably including both private practice and in-house legal experience.
- Strong experience in handling IP commercialization (negotiating & drafting agreements) and litigation;
- Service-oriented, you can work and act as a true business and sparring partner and you can work under pressure and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and independently;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and fluent level in English, both spoken and written;
- Ability to collaborate effectively and positively with others.
- Creative problem-solving ability by being able to think out of the box;
- Eye for detail, structured mindset, and accuracy
- Preferably have experience working with an apparel or footwear brand;
What You Can Expect from Us
- Able and eager to work in an international, diverse, and inclusive working environment
- A strong team player, and a good listener with a positive attitude;
- Hard-working yet fun-loving - gets the job done and contributes to a fun working environment overall
- Energetic, entrepreneurial, and curious; able to think out-of-the-box and eager to learn, improve things, and find innovative solutions
- Hands-on, self-starting, and embracing and enjoying challenges.
- Work Smart Program: hybrid work, flex hours, work from anywhere 4 weeks a year, home office allowance, and meeting free Fridays
- One of a kind Campus: state-of-the-art collaboration spaces, restaurant with premium buffet, takeaway deli, barista coffee bars, sky bar, and rooftop garden
- Health & Well-being: People's Place gym, sports clubs, nutritional coaching, meditation studio, headspace subscription, rooftop yoga, and mental health days
- Social events: Thursday socials, pub quizzes, annual themed events, sample sales, and market launches
- PVH University: learning and development programs to leverage your professional and personal goals
- How we support you: onsite parking, bike garages, commuting allowances, Employee Assistance Programs, pension schemes, and discounts on our brands Tommy Hilfiger & Calvin Klein to name a few!
Our Talent Acquisition will share our full benefits overview at the offer stage.
PVH Europe and our brands, TOMMY HILFIGER and CALVIN KLEIN, are committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse community of associates with a strong sense of belonging. We believe we are bettered by all forms of diversity, and take pride in working with top talent from every walk of life and corner of the world. In the spirit of inclusivity, qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, ethnicity, ability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation. #LI-Hybrid