Technical Designer, RRL Denim & Woven Bottoms
- Ralph Lauren
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 25 Mar 2023
- Design - Garments & Accessories
Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company's brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps, among others, constitute one of the world's most widely recognized families of consumer brands. At Ralph Lauren, we unite and inspire the communities within our company as well as those in which we serve by amplifying voices and perspectives to create a culture of belonging, ensuring inclusion, and fairness for all. We foster a culture of inclusion through: Talent, Education & Communication, Employee Groups and Celebration.
The Technical Design position is responsible and accountable for managing and fitting all RRL Denim and Roughwear (bottoms) and ensuring the RL standard for fit is set for suppliers to be compliant to the design intent of each style. The garments that they fit with Design are a combination of new body blocks as well as maintaining and ensuring existing blocks are followed. They are accountable for ensuring all tools are created, maintained, and distributed to enable a "Closer to Needle Point" strategy. The Product Technician needs strong communication and organizational skills- as well as a heightened attention to detail. This position also owns physical product development for RRL Denim and Roughwear (bottoms), see bullet points under roles and responsibilities. The Technical Designer roll reports into the Head of Technical Design.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· The Tech Designer is responsible for creating all development Tech packs. They ensure Product Management has this this necessary information to send to offshore tech design teams/Vendors. · In this position the NY Tech Designer ensures all tools (labelling combo kits, fold manuals, block body spreadsheets, etc....) are created and distributed in a timely according to calendar. · The Technical Designer receives all proto garments and fit samples and are measured by the NY Technical design team. · All prototype garments are reviewed with Design for details and fit when received. This role is responsible for ensuring all fit comments are entered PLM and Airtable with product pictures. · All fit samples are fit with Design for design details and fit when received. As with prototype garments, comments are entered PLM and Airtable. Tech Design is responsible and accountable for driving a "closer to needle point" strategy and challenging if something needs to be fit in NY because it is block driven or a repeat fit. · The NY Technical Designer needs to have proficient understanding of fabric, wash and shrinkage. · Ensure the offshore tech design teams/Vendors and the quality assurance team has all the tools they need to approve pre-production samples. · This position requires the addition of detail into design sketches as needed via the use of Adobe Illustrator. · The NY Technical Designer is responsible for ensuring all grade rules are correct in the system to produce actual product that is to compliance. · The NY Technical Designer is responsible and accountable for collaboration with the offshore tech design team/Vendors to ensure the correct points of measure are used in the tech packs creating one universal global way of working. · The NY Tech Designer also partners accordingly with the off-shore Technical Designer to help with tech pack creation each season. This might include updated tools as needs come up or simply working on the tech packs. · This position is responsible and accountable to attend virtual fittings when needed. This role partners with a global team, and therefor fittings will be held across teams from different offices/times globally. Expectations are to partner with leadership to develop a flexible work life balance while still driving closure to each style seasonally. · Responsible for ensuring all tracking reports are completed on time and accurately to enable leadership to aggregate totals as needed. · This position owns confirming all styles are made to RL standards globally through the approval of Pre-Production Standards (PPS). Please note: different teams are responsible, but NY Tech is accountable and this is done by robust tech packs and updated tools such as construction standards. · E- mail, phone and video conference communication with NY/HK and other offices globally.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
Minimum Qualifications & Skills · Degree or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design or equivalent work experience preferred ExExperience in apparel related role
* Good verbal and written communication skills · Strong organizational skills and ability manage competing priorities.
* A sense of urgency and attention to detail
* Responsible and accountable
* Ability to proactively problem solve
* Knowledge of 3D programs a must
* Illustrator sketching a must Computer Skills: Gerber, PLM, PDM, Adobe Illustrator, MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word, Airtable
Ralph Lauren, whose name is synonymous with American lifestyle, timeless design and impeccable quality, is a cultural icon who has built the Ralph Lauren Corporation into one of the most successful companies in the world. As the first designer to produce a complete lifestyle vision, Mr. Lauren created a global brand exemplified by style, sophistication and the utmost attention to detail. Today, the Company is a leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in four categories: apparel, home, accessories and fragrances.
Since 1967, Ralph Lauren has cultivated the iconography of America, as well as that of Europe and the exotic themes of other cultures, redefining a style of luxury that is recognized and coveted around the world. “I have always had a clear vision,” he said. “I wanted to develop quality products and create a whole world around that. It means taking risks, going with what you feel, but never losing sight of your vision and conviction.”
At Ralph Lauren, we like to inspire—and to be inspired. Our teams are dynamic, collaborative and innovative—and we are always looking to build them with the strongest, most inspiring people in the world.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert