Counselor (Assistant Professor), Counseling Center
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 25 Apr 2023
- Teaching & Education
- Entry Level / Assistant
- Full Time
Reporting to the Director of the Counseling Center, the Counselor is responsible for providing short-term individual and group counseling support to FIT students. This includes providing crisis care, performing risk assessments, offering general student counseling and referrals on academic, career and situational matters.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Work within a stepped-care model of care* to provide short-term individual and group counseling support to FIT students
- Respond to any urgent and critical student concerns, including the need for hospitalization
- Perform risk assessments for students seeking counseling
- Provide intakes for students presenting with a range of concerns (including pre-existing conditions) and make appropriate assessments, external referrals and follow-up outreach
- Provide support and follow-up to administration, faculty, parents and students
- Ability to provide short-term (1-3 sessions) or single-session psychotherapy and develop workshops and programs based on student needs and interests
- Ability to work in a fast-paced clinical setting with complex cases
- Provide case management and follow up with referred providers to ensure continuation of care
- Create posts and stories for social media posts and weekly newsletter
- Respond to walk-in emergencies
- Manage disposition planning
- Supervise interns/externs and peer educators as assigned
- Co-manage peer educator program
- Develop and organize workshops and events
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Bachelor's and Master's required, Licensed clinician (PhD, PsyD, DSW, and LCSW) in NY State required.
- 5+ years clinical experience in a college counseling center or hospital setting required.
- Case management experience required.
- Prior experience providing outreach services required.
- Prior work with adolescents and young adults required.
- Knowledge of community mental health resources and facilities.
- Experience in conducting mental status exams.
- Experience with a wide range of diagnosis, diagnostic assessment, and crisis intervention.
- Sensitivity to multicultural, under privileged, LGBTQ, and trauma issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with college community and to represent counseling center at campus-wide events.
- Experience in inpatient facilities.
- Experience utilizing electronic medical records.
- Experience with substance abuse.
- Experience with DBT techniques.
- Experience working in college mental health setting.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Occasional; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Constant
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit-Frequent; Stand-Frequent; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Frequent; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions of employment. The salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience.
Starting Salary: $69,475 per year with step increments per Salary Schedule 83, after one year of service and annually thereafter.
( See Successor Agreement, page 11 )
Days/Hours: M-F, 30 hour work week, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply online and attach the following documents; http://fitnyc.interviewexchange.com:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites applications for a Counselor in the Counseling Center.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for more than 75 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for 70 years. Providing a blend of hands-on experience, classroom study, and liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
Among our wide variety of Art and Design programs are Accessories Design, Interior Design, and Toy Design; Business and Technology majors range from Fashion Business Management to International Trade and Marketing to Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. Our outstanding faculty offer students experiences that mirror the marketplace and give them a competitive edge.
Notable alumni designers include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Reem Acra, Brian Atwood, Francisco Costa, Norma Kamali, Nanette Lepore, Bibhu Mohapatra, and Ralph Rucci. Other prominent graduates include Leslie Blodgett, creator of Bare Minerals; international hotel and restaurant designer Tony Chi; Nina Garcia, creative director, Marie Claire; Edward Menicheschi, chief marketing officer, Condé Nast; and Joe Zee, editor in chief and executive creative officer, Yahoo Style.
The Museum at FIT, one of the world’s leading collections of fashion and textiles, houses more than 50,000 garments and accessories and more than 300,000 textiles and swatches.
Learn more at fitnyc.edu.
Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert