Career and Internship Counselor- Repost
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 30 Apr 2023
- Teaching & Education
- Full Time
In support of FIT's visionary strategic plan to provide an Empowering Student Experience, the division of Academic Affairs seeks a dynamic student-centered individual with excellent career and internship skills for the position of Counselor in the Career and Internship Services unit. The mission of Career and Internship Services is to provide student-centered, experiential learning and career oriented opportunities for FIT students and alumni . This position is a tenure track, non-classroom faculty position that will work with other team members in the unit to educate and support students and alumni by providing experiential education and career counseling services, including credit bearing worksite experiences, career planning and development opportunities, access to self-assessment tools, and individual counseling.
The Counselor reports to the Director of Career and Internship Services, and is responsible for providing current students and alumni career and experiential learning counseling through scheduled appointments and drop-in services for career counseling and for successfully placing students into credit bearing internships.
Counselors organize and manage outreach opportunities, workshops, special events, and other programs for our constituents. The Counselor is responsible for a student caseload and works collaboratively with others in the department, academic departments and schools and industry on program and event planning as related to careers and internships.
The Counselor contributes to the unit's mission of working to provide students with the real-world experience and guiding them in identifying and attaining their internship, and career objectives.
- Provide one-on-one and/or group counseling, career planning, and job search strategies with the goal of preparing students and alumni for experiential and post graduate career opportunities.
- Manage a student caseload to provide credit-internship counseling.
- Assist students with resumes, cover letters, portfolios, interview prep, and other professional communications.
- Engage with students in-person and virtually for career counseling sessions and drop-in hours on a regular basis.
- Manage counseling appointments, scheduling; and record appointment details and counseling notes in Symplicity.
- Represent the department through collaboration with faculty, administrators, and campus departments.
- Assist with the development and delivery of career and internship education content for programming and co-curricular events, activities and classroom presentations, in collaboration with on/off campus partners
- Support all department and college-wide events (ie New Student Orientation, Open House, Families in Transition, Career Fair, Career Week, Resume Review days, etc.)
- Participate in department committees
- Participate in professional development activities and opportunities.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Master's degree in student affairs, higher education, counseling, business, or a related field required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of college level career services, experiential education, human resources, advising, consulting, business training or other relevant work experience required.
- Knowledgeable of current job and labor market conditions and trends.
- Experience with career guidance and job search resources, technologies and tools.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, counseling, and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills incorporating current technology
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Experience in guiding and teaching the writing of resumes and cover letters, interview preparation and job search strategies.
- Experience with delivering workshops, programs marketing programs and presentation
- Ability to analyze data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Knowledge of current and innovative technology; and ability to utilize relevant social media technologies including LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team and create a collegiate working environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with career fields of interest in art, fashion, design, business and technology students desired.
- Knowledge of industry resources related to FIT academic programs.
- Experience with CRM, data management, or career management systems (ie. Symplicity; LinkedIn; Handshake)
- Experience with graphic design tools (e.g. Canva, PowerPoint, Adobe)
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Occasional; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Constant; Write- Constant
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit-Frequent; Stand-Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Frequent; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift
Days/Hours: M-F, 30 hour work week, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Salary Schedule 83
Hiring Salary: $69,475 per year; per CBA, the salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience.
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites applications for a Career and Internship Counselor.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for 70 years. Providing a blend of hands-on experience, classroom study, and liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
Among our wide variety of Art and Design programs are Accessories Design, Interior Design, and Toy Design; Business and Technology majors range from Fashion Business Management to International Trade and Marketing to Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. Our outstanding faculty offer students experiences that mirror the marketplace and give them a competitive edge.
Notable alumni designers include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Reem Acra, Brian Atwood, Francisco Costa, Norma Kamali, Nanette Lepore, Bibhu Mohapatra, and Ralph Rucci. Other prominent graduates include Leslie Blodgett, creator of Bare Minerals; international hotel and restaurant designer Tony Chi; Nina Garcia, creative director, Marie Claire; Edward Menicheschi, chief marketing officer, Condé Nast; and Joe Zee, editor in chief and executive creative officer, Yahoo Style.
The Museum at FIT, one of the world’s leading collections of fashion and textiles, houses more than 50,000 garments and accessories and more than 300,000 textiles and swatches.
Learn more at fitnyc.edu.
Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert