- Lingua Franca
- New York City, New York (US)
- $20-$30/hr DOE
- Closing date
- 24 Mar 2023
- Design - Garments & Accessories
- Entry Level / Assistant
- Contract Type
- Part Time
POSITION: Assistant Designer (Freelance)
REPORTS TO: Head of Design
Lingua Franca is an NYC-based luxury clothing and accessory brand. Its love of traditional craft, irreverent point of view, and commitment to sustainable and ethical production all inform its evolving line of hand-embroidered cashmere goods (all hand-stitched by women in NYC) and ethically sourced ready-to-wear. Meaning “common language,” Lingua Franca’s pieces are meant to spark conversation. Their well-known embroidery esthetic and playful use of familiar sayings has gained a loyal following since the brand’s inception in 2016.
The assistant designer will take part in the daily functions of the design department and assist in developing the product line from concept to completion while supporting the head of design and founder. Must be based in New York and available to work onsite, in person, 3-5 days/week.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in the overall development and production of seasonal RTW product assortment
- Assist the Head of Design in identifying big ideas, key trends, and relevant silhouettes
- Research and development of new stitches, patterns, and print for presentation and line development for all categories.
- Research and execution of product and design vision from fabric, sketch/design creation, and trim/embellishment direction
- Extensive competitive market research and shopping, including luxury and vintage
- Assist in designing inspirational protos for both seasonal concept and long-term product development
- Prepare digital and physical presentations (mockups, sketches, etc.)
- Execution of flat sketches, detail illustrations, and reference garments for Tech Packs
- Create layouts for patterns, stitches, and graphics/embellishment
- Develop and maintain communications with cross-functional teams in New York and overseas.
- Creation and maintenance of line sheets and lookbooks.
- Adhere to and meet Design calendar deadlines
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- 1-2 years experience in women’s contemporary or luxury markets is preferred.
- Strong hand and flat sketching and design capability
- Basic knowledge of knitwear design, yarns/gauges, and ability to adapt and learn
- Basic understanding of fit and construction
- Ability to capture and create the Lingua Franca aesthetic
- Resourceful, creative, and efficient when faced with multiple projects and challenging deadlines.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work proactively and develop strong relationships with key partners
- Strong Adobe suite skills, technical sketches, and detail diagrams
Lingua Franca is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. We are committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
<p>Lingua Franca is a line of thoughtfully designed ready-to-wear and bespoke embroidered pieces, hand-stitched in NYC. LF’s creations embody their deep commitments to ethically sourced, luxury textiles, natural and sustainable materials, and time-tested, made-by-hand techniques.</p> <p>More than just a fashion line, Lingua Franca’s irreverent sensibility and playful aesthetic utilize texture and color to explore the nuanced landscapes of memory, meaning, and joy in their wearable works of art. Familiar cultural references are woven throughout in words and iconography, encouraging conversation and reflection around current events and personal human experience.</p> <p> </p> <p><br /> </p>
95 Jane Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert