Design Assistant - TEMP
- Show Me Your Mumu
- Los Angeles, California
- $22 - $24/hour Depending on Experience (D.O.E.)
- Closing date
- 9 Apr 2023
- Design - Garments & Accessories
- Entry Level / Assistant
- Full Time
This position focuses on assisting the design team at large, executing CAD and line sheet updates in illustrator, handling vendor communication, making pantone selections for all prints and lab dips, executing basic graphic artwork or print recolors and organization of all fabric boards weekly. This role is hybrid and may work 1-2 days remotely each week. Candidates must be within commuting distance of the Mumu HQ in Downtown Los Angeles.
- Works with the design team to make sure all fabric boards are updated weekly. This includes cutting swatches, basic file recolors in adobe illustrator & photoshop & creating board labels and price templates
- Sets up seasonal color palette by working with creative directors to pull pantone selections for color key for all categories
- Prepares and organizes the lab dip form for all lab dip send outs to vendors and tracks progress directly with the vendor in conjunction with the fabric team
- Preps all print & novelty hand over sheets for send out to the vendors in conjunction with the designers and fabric team
- Works with the print designer on pantone selection for all prints
- Prepares all print & novelty hand over sheets for send out to the vendors in conjunction with the designers and fabric team
- Ensures all fabric binders are up to date and checks them on a weekly basis against our PLM system
- Checks in fit samples as received and passes to fit techs for spec-ing
- Maintain and organize all sample racks daily
- Works with Designers to maintain master & category line sheets by season and updates boards weekly
- Executes CAD illustrations and exclusive line sheets as needed
- Coordinates and maintains design boards as needed for designers
- Assists designers with CAD illustrations and line sheet updates weekly
- Assists with trim sourcing as needed
- Responsible for organization and transportation of all design samples to the warehouse
- Pick ups and drop offs for shipping as needed to our warehouse locations
- Assists the design team by preparing packages for shipping
- Organizes monthly design expenses by GL coding and submits invoices
- Helps maintain organization of the design area & sample design room
- Local fabric sourcing
- Scheduling and coordination of all local fabric mills and print appointments
- Other duties as assigned
- Comfortable in working in a fast-paced environment, flexible in changing direction as needed.
- Candidate must be highly organized with ability to prioritize with a sense of urgency and be a team player
- Must have excellent communication skills with a passion for organization
- Familiar and comfortable working in Adobe Suites Apps- specifically Illustrator
- Must be able to execute CAD illustrations in Adobe Illustrator
- PC literate with intermediate understanding and skills in using keyboard and Microsoft office products
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Minimum 2-3 years' design experience
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in fashion design or product development preferred
- Dynamic analytical, problem solving and project management abilities- must be a self starter
- Flexibility with regards to job responsibilities
- Knowledge with MS Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Knowledge with Adobe applications- Photoshop & Illustrator
- Able to work and think independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent follow-through and attention to detail
Show Me Your Mumu is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider for employment all qualified candidates without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Once upon a time, on a magical island...Two free-spirited and lively ladies created an invention essential to the daily lives of girls. The island was Manhattan, and the invention was called the Mumu. This is where our story begins...
Brunette and Blonde besties, Cammy and Cologne, packed up their UC Berkeley college closets and moved to NYC to live out their big city dreams. Cammy was born on the bayou in New Orleans, while Cologne was a Newport Beach bred mermaid, however both found themselves working in fashion. They quickly learned a thing or two about the fast-paced creative business, and its perks— free clothes! (small salary). However, there was something clearly missing. They needed that one versatile piece they could wear almost anywhere.
Cammy and Cologne were constantly buying shirts and tops in sizes much larger than they wore, stretch out the neck and throw on to become the ideal comfy yet cute mumu-esque dress. However, as many tops that they stretched and dresses that they cut, they could not find the ideal fit. It needed to be flowy and short, flattering and feminine, but sexy at the same time. It wasn’t until the girls went on a spontaneous weekend trip to Miami, with only their purses to pack, did they realize what needed to be done.
Once they set their sights on making Mumus, they could not stop talking about it. That night, a dear and lifelong bff was informed of the two ladies’ brilliant and crucial invention. Naturally, he exclaimed
“ Reinventing the mumu?! I love it!
Show me your Mumu! ”
And there it was, sparkling and clear. The girls knew that name was going to stick.
Back in NYC, the girls decided to turn their Mumu day dreams into a reality. Still holding down full time jobs, Cammy and Cologne worked tirelessly— starting the company from scratch. With little money or resources and using Craig's List as their HR, they found a Patternmaker, web designer, and production source. Their tiny Nolita apartment was transformed into a design and warehouse shipping department, storing Mumus and supplies anywhere they could including their oven. The TV became a clothing rack, their nights became design meetings and they used their lunch breaks to fabric hunt in the garment district. The girls' hustle paid off, and in a few short months they had their first Mumus in hand.
Fast forward— 1 cross country move, 6 office spaces, multiple product categories, and dozens of collections later, Show Me Your Mumu has evolved into so much more. Although the days of dancing all night and shipping out of their tiny NYC apartment all day have gone, the heart and spirit of Mumu remains the same.
Nearly ten years since moving to Los Angeles, Cammy + Cologne have created a true lifestyle brand and an army of real #mumugirls that function more like family than a brand. Together the Mumu girls have grown the company exponentially, working and often times living together, they celebrate each other's milestones, support each other through the highs and lows, and always have each other’s backs. What started out as a crazy idea, has evolved into so much more than just making Mumus-- it’s also about girls supporting girls, and lifting each other up.
Mumu has remained passionate about bringing customers quality pieces that are unique, special and ethically made. Mumu is proud to produce 80% of pieces in the USA, employing over 80% women, our clothes are made with care and never mass produced.
Throughout this wild ride, Cammy and Cologne have welcomed their customers to come along on the adventure and join in on the fun. Mumu strives to have a special connection with its customers by remaining approachable and real. Nobody has encouraged them and inspired them more than you, the real life Mumu girls from all across the globe that bring Mumu clothes to life! Mumu believes that every girl can be a #Mumugirl and live the Mumu lifestyle. The Mumu motto is “ Life is fun, your clothes should be too! ”
1834 East 22nd Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert