Senior Director, Store Planning (Retail Design)
- Alexander Wang
- New York City, New York (US) (Hybrid)
- Closing date
- 13 Apr 2023
- Director / President / C Suite
- Contract Type
The Senior Director, Store Planning is responsible for the full scope of the design, project management and budgeting process for retail, wholesale, partner and outlet projects, and collaborates on pop-up locations for the brand globally. This role will report to Chief Commercial Officer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Projects & Scheduling
- Partner with Retail and Wholesale Team to analyze all potential projects from a store planning perspective, including providing schedule and budget estimates.
- Work with Retail Ops, Buying, Wholesale or Partners to analyze feasibility of capacity requirements needed for the space to meet its ROI requirement.
- Prepare budget estimate for NOP to assess financially feasibility.
- Prepare schedule estimates
- Evaluate and provide feedback on lease terms as it pertains to the space
- Oversee all department scheduling, most notably delegating projects to internal and external project managers managing the bandwidth of the teams
- Assist and teach project managers to resolve timeline issues that arise on projects
- Work with Retail Ops to ensure openings are spaced appropriately for the bandwidth of the operational team.
- Work with Project Managers to approve layouts and educate the team on best practices based on the operational needs of the business.
- Work with teams to study and design the BOH spaces to meet the needs of the business
- Oversee Project managers incorporation of key operational tools – people counter, security cameras etc. Into the design ensuring it is in keeping with the aesthetics of the brand.
- Oversee Project Management of all materials and sampling to ensure all materials meet brand standards and are reviewed/approved internally.
- Manage external rendering/drawing strategies
- Source and maintain relationships with vendors, consultants, and collaborators to ensure the success of the store network growth plan and to achieve competitive pricing.
- Create templates, tools etc. as needed to improve the process
- Visit stores regularly to see the designs and material implemented
- Oversee the external partner that manages the Concept book to ensure it is kept up to date
- Evaluate all fixtures, finishes and construction details to ensure they meet the brands needs both operationally, aesthetically and require a reasonable amount of maintenance
- Partner with VM to develop VM tools and new fixtures as necessary
- Partner with internal/external creatives on new fixtures and finishes as necessary
- Oversee technical development of all architectural, fixture and finish details
- Put in place a process for handling aesthetic maintenance issues that arise within the network and a way of tracking them
- Identify recurring issues and flag them as design changes that need to be made for future projects an prepare solution for stores that contain the same condition
- Work with Retail Ops to identify, price out and execute strategic small renovation work within the store network that is needed to maintain the brand’s image and KPIs.
Budget Development & Management
- Track & provide estimates on all project costs to understand budget trends globally
- Partner with CCO and CFO on budget estimates for projects and building out of the 5-year plan
- Analyze department and project costs to find cost saving solutions.
- Assist and educate project management team on negotiating terms, pricing etc. for project-specific vendors.
- Prepare annual department OpEx and CapEx budgets and provide reforecasting as necessary
- 10+ Years of experience
- Architecture/design degree
- Ability to read architectural and engineering drawings
- Strong global construction knowledge
- Ability to sketch out details and resolve design problems thoughtfully and quickly
- Understanding of the brand aesthetic
- Strong cross-functional communicator and problem-solver
- Strong understanding of retail operations, capacities and project context and ability to translate these into functional store layouts
- Familiar with leases and contracts
- Experience assembling significant CapEx and OpEx budgets
- Should come with key industry contacts to further support the development of the Store Planning resource network
- Capable of leading a team & performance management
- Able to provide reliable, accurate schedules for projects and the department as a whole
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/D/F/V
In compliance with the New York City salary transparency requirements, the potential salary for this position is from $170,000 to $175,000, which represents a range commensurate with experience, knowledge, and skills required.
Alexander Wang’s brand sensibility is a reflection on contrasts, blending seamlessly between the refined and the imperfect. His collections have an un-precious outlook on fashion and always reflect a sense of ease. He is renowned for his irreverent approach and for perpetually evolving and re-contextualizing the urban uniform. Born and raised in San Francisco, California, Wang moved to New York City and launched his eponymous label in 2005. The brand currently operates 44 owned and partnered stores globally. The Alexander Wang collections are also available through luxury retailers worldwide. For more information, visit www.alexanderwang.com or follow us @alexanderwangny.
- (833) 926-4878
Apply for Senior Director, Store Planning (Retail Design)
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert