- London, United Kingdom
- Closing date
- 30 Apr 2023
Founded in 1856 by Thomas Burberry, Burberry is a global luxury brand with a distinctly British attitude. We are a global business with an extensive network of both owned and franchised stores across EMEIA, Asia Pacific and Americas. We are digital pioneers, and innovative technology underpins every aspect of our business, from product design to distribution and marketing. We believe that modern luxury means being socially and environmentally responsible; this mindset is core to our business and key to our long-term success.
WHY JOIN US
You will be at the heart of Burberry's new engineering strategy, helping us build an in-house engineering teams and developing a culture that makes Burberry a great place to work. We will achieve this by bringing on great people and empowering them to build amazing products for our customers.
Our team is responsible for the wide range of applications and products that power Burberry digital including burberry.com, native mobile apps, creating technology (e.g. NFTs, gaming, etc) and the technology that is present in our physical stores.
While your teams need to be technically capable, we will work together to create our engineering culture whereby the engineers are confident, happy, motivated, and developing themselves.
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
Although Burberry is a very well-known FTSE 100 company, we have very few tech boundaries; the microservices platform was recently implemented on then-new serverless AWS tech (so successfully that we gave a talk at AWS Summit in Las Vegas), and we continually trial betas of AWS and other tech solutions to see how we could use them, while having regular calls with AWS to understand and trial new features and capabilities.
We are building an internal open source shared library.
We aim for serverless solutions - lambdas, fargate - where feasible. Mostly we use nodejs for backend, node and react on the frontend. Infrastructure as Code is either Terraform or AWS CDK. We're big on automation. We have gitlab for CI, snyk for security testing, an internal performance engineering team ensuring your solutions meet high standards.
Our platforms and applications are extremely stable and we focus on building new features and trialing new tech. The number of critical incidents has reduced significantly over the past few years thanks to our investment in Observability, including teams being responsible for their application in production (we call it Run What You Wrote). We have a weekly Reliability call for lucky team members to take us through their system's telemetry, highlighting issues and improvements; this shares knowledge and promotes trust in our systems and our teams' ability to support them.
The Burberry brand is known around the world, and our technology must support customers everywhere. Localisation is the key part of our strategy - we tailor our customer experiences online in many regions. From overcoming global technical restrictions, to building for users on all devices, we need to give Burberry consumers the highest quality luxury digital retail experience globally.
Burberry is a recognised leader in engaging customers through digital experiences, both online and offline in our retail stores.
This role is for an Engineering Manager with a focus on front-end technologies. You will become the foundation of a growing in-house team of engineers to help us build and evolve a wide range of features that power burberry.com.
The candidate must have solid experience building and managing technical delivery teams as well as a recognised background in agile and product-centric technology development. Inspiring your team and getting the job done on time with superb quality will be the main KPIs.
The candidate will report to the Senior Manager of Engineering and have responsibility for the engineering process across multiple front-end teams working closely with Principal Engineers and Tech Leads.
· Experience managing engineering teams within a global e-commerce organisation
· Experience implementing and championing Agile working practices such as Scrum, Kanban, XP, TDD & BDD etc
· An excellent understanding of the MACH principles
· Understanding of tools for version control (e.g. Git) and continuous integration (e.g. Jenkins, Gitlab)
· Experience implementing / rearchitecting engineering processes to leverage the benefits of lean & agile delivery. Being a SCRUM master in your previous role(s) would be a plus
· Experience managing change in the engineering space across multiple teams in the same domain
· Experience leading and influencing offshore teams and a management style of 'taking people on the journey' rather than dictating and approach
· Proactively measuring, identifying bottlenecks in the engineering approach, focusing on maintaining speed and quality
· Experience ensuring the performance, telemetry, observability and stability of applications
· Excellent communication and influencing skills, the ability to clearly articulate a point of view to both technical and non-technical colleagues
· A keen desire to constantly innovate and improve both technology and people
· Passion, enthusiasm for and a deep interest in technology and software engineering
· Experience working with and leading teams both internal and offshore partners
· Passion for reducing tech debt and an interest in test automation and modern deployment techniques
· An understanding and certification in Agile and a practical experience using Agile approaches to increase speed, quality and security of software shipped to production
· Industry experience working across large websites and mobile applications. Could be from an agency, consultancy or client side
· A familiarity and appreciation of the strengths and weaknesses of a range of technologies is useful
· A passion for retail and experience within a software delivery company is essential
- Build and sustain happy engineering teams
- Increase delivery speed, codebase quality and security while delivering the project scope within budget
- Reduce technical debt
- Build a transparent and reliable framework for estimating technical tasks
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || London || IT || DIGITAL || n/a ||
Founded in 1856, Burberry today remains quintessentially British, with outerwear at its core. Digital luxury positioning and intensive focus on design innovation, quality and heritage icons of the trench coat, trademark check and Prorsum knight, ensure continued brand purity and relevance globally across genders and generations.
At Burberry, every individual, every team and every function, shares an incredible passion for the brand and is guided by a ‘brand-first’ mind-set. Decisions are evaluated through the lens of the long-term health and vitality of the Burberry brand.
Burberry believes that in order to be a great brand it must also be a great company. Inspired by three Core Values - Protect, Explore, Inspire - rooted in the brand’s heritage and continually informing its guiding principles, Burberry leverages its compassionate and creative thinking culture to continually innovate and drive the brand forward.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert