Paul Smith is one of Britain’s leading independent design companies. We champion positivity, curiosity and creativity. These qualities underpin every Paul Smith design, whether it’s a shirt, a shop or a special collaboration. Reaffirming the values that Paul set down in 1970, ‘classic with a twist’ remains the guiding principle of the company. Happily positioned between high fashion and formalwear, while taking reference from both, Paul Smith has always been proud to stand apart.
In consultation with the Head of Design and Design Director, this role requires the successful candidate to lead the design of the Paul Smith Women’s collection, ensuring the collection is developed in line with the critical path and is balanced commercially. We are looking for someone to start before June to allow a handover period.
Please note this role requires that you submit an online link within the application form, to a colour portfolio containing work examples, this should be available for 4 weeks after the advert closing date.
• Design and develop the Paul Smith Women’s collection, taking responsibility in the absence of the Head of Design for any design related decisions.
• Initiate and collaborate on research into themes, silhouettes and techniques.
• Draw highly detailed design diagrams for the Paul Smith Women’s collection that accurately represent garments.
• Lead fittings and sample reviews ensuring fit, quality and production reach the appropriate standards set.
• Ensure all collection boards, seasonal files and other information are kept up to date and clear and any changes are communicated promptly.
• Ensure the Paul Smith Women’s collection prices are well balanced and in line with market expectations.
• Work closely with the copyright team to ensure all artworks meet the copyright requirements and are archived on completion of each season.
Your Skills and Experience
• Credible experience of the whole Womenswear design process from initial concept to final presentation within a commercial working environment.
• Advanced knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop and Microsoft Office packages.
• Experience of working with Design programs on Mac computers.
• Experience of working with business partners in disparate locations.
• Ability to produce freehand accurate and detailed drawings, in particular flat drawings.
• Keen appreciation of colour and use of imagery for complementary themes.
• Knowledgeable about the Womenswear market and current trends.
Who you are
• Excellent planning, prioritising and organisational skills to ensure key deadlines are met.
• Excellent knowledge of garment, trims and fabric construction, with a strong understanding of pattern cutting and proportion.
• Able to handle multiple design projects concurrently, in a calm and co-operative manner and to set budgets.
• Highly self-motivated and proactive, with excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
• Strong ability to deal with people at all levels and build effective internal and external working relationships.
• A broad interest across various cultural themes, with an interest in fashion, music, literature and the arts.
• Able to travel within the UK and internationally.
What’s in it for you
• A generous Clothing Allowance.
• Discretionary discount on PSL goods.
• Private health insurance with Vitality.
• An annual leave entitlement of 25 days, plus Bank Holidays (pro-rata).
• Cycle to work and travel loan schemes.
If you like the sound of what you’ve read so far, find out more about our company culture and the full list of benefits we can offer you.
At Paul Smith, we celebrate and encourage applications from all walks of life into our growing workforce. We are committed to empowering people from any background, belief system, or ethnicity, offering an inclusive environment where talent is recognised and valued.