Part-Time Cataloging Assistant I, Gladys Marcus Library
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 1 May 2023
- Entry Level / Assistant
- Part Time
The part-time Library Assistant I is a customer and technical services position that supports the Periodicals & Electronic Resource Services unit of the library in its mission. Responsibilities includes participating in daily unit operations, collection management, access to library resources at library service points, technical services and systems support with a focus on student friendly services.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions:
- Provides patron services at the PERS desk; answers queries regarding library print and electronic resources and services and provides informed recommendations on relevant resources; facilitates technology assistance to support patrons
- Processes library materials including tracking item intake and physical disposition of current and back issues of periodicals; creates content and data description for publication pattern information, holding and item records
- Coordinates bindery preparation using bindery software; schedules vendor pick-up and delivery and processes bound volumes in Library Systems Platform (LSP)
- Applies evolving collection development policy and retention schedules accordingly; participates in stack maintenance projects to analyze and organize physical collections
- Creates workflow documentation using library standards and policies to ensure compliance; Creates and maintains LibGuides
- Supervises and trains Federal Work Study student(s) working in PERS; provides guidance in workflows and instructs students on unit policies and processes
- Opens and/or closes the unit's customer service desk
- Coordinates forecast instruction sessions with library and classroom faculty ; Tracks dynamic calendars, schedules, class visits, events, and library activities
- Works in various capacities outside of the home unit to accomplish library wide initiatives; Provides library services at any library service point to fill coverage gaps and provide support and services; Provides telephone/chat/email reference services
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- High School diploma required.
- Three to five years of relevant work experience with customer service as a focus.
- Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working in a library; fundamental knowledge of the operation of an integrated library management system, Alma experience desirable.
- Background in design and knowledge of such programs as Adobe CC, web editing platforms, social media platforms.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills, including professional and courteous telephone communication and written correspondence
- Proficient in the MS Office Suite and Google Workspace
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with detailed data
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and fluently; Ability to troubleshoot basic computer problems
- Ability to pivot between competing priorities and integrate change into work routines
- Ability to work independently and effectively in a collegial manner in a changing environment
- Ability to work with a diverse community, while exercising good judgment and common sense
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Frequent; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Constant; Write- Frequent
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit- Frequent; Stand- Frequent; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Occasional; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions of employment.
Hiring Rate: $29.28 per hour with step increments per Salary Schedule 89, after one year of service and annually thereafter.
(See Successor Agreement, page 7)
- Part-Time Benefits
- Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Days/Hours: TH- SAT, 10am - 5pm, in-person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Cataloging Assistant I in the Gladys Marcus Library.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for 70 years. Providing a blend of hands-on experience, classroom study, and liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
Among our wide variety of Art and Design programs are Accessories Design, Interior Design, and Toy Design; Business and Technology majors range from Fashion Business Management to International Trade and Marketing to Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. Our outstanding faculty offer students experiences that mirror the marketplace and give them a competitive edge.
Notable alumni designers include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Reem Acra, Brian Atwood, Francisco Costa, Norma Kamali, Nanette Lepore, Bibhu Mohapatra, and Ralph Rucci. Other prominent graduates include Leslie Blodgett, creator of Bare Minerals; international hotel and restaurant designer Tony Chi; Nina Garcia, creative director, Marie Claire; Edward Menicheschi, chief marketing officer, Condé Nast; and Joe Zee, editor in chief and executive creative officer, Yahoo Style.
The Museum at FIT, one of the world’s leading collections of fashion and textiles, houses more than 50,000 garments and accessories and more than 300,000 textiles and swatches.
Learn more at fitnyc.edu.
Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert