Communications Coordinator, Alumni Relations
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 28 Jun 2023
- Coordinator / Executive
- Full Time
As an integral member of Advancement & Alumni Relations at the FIT Foundation, the Advancement Communications Coordinator provides support to ongoing as well as project-based communications. The Advancement Communications Coordinator will work collaboratively with administrators and staff within the FIT Foundation and the College and is responsible for creating, implementing, and assessing communications for FIT Alumni Relations initiatives. The preferred candidate will work with FIT Foundation staff, as well as college-wide communications and marketing staff to support the Foundation's communications, storytelling and marketing goals. S/he will oversee the overall day-to-day management of the FIT Foundation's website/webpages and social media channels. S/he will also assist in the development and production of the FIT Foundation's marketing, communications and editorial materials, as well as proposals and fundraising solicitation materials.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Implementing a successful and integrated communications plan using multiple mediums in a timely and consistent fashion. This may include, but not be limited to, brand guidelines, e-newsletters, social media posts, e-blasts, web pages, invitations, fundraising campaign materials, and gift acknowledgements.
- Ensure a consistent narrative is executed to increase brand and name recognition and presence in all mediums including coordinated marketing efforts to ensure consistency with broader FIT marketing and branding efforts.
- Writing internal and external communications, including articles for the Foundation website pages, newsletters, digital marketing and fundraising campaigns, and digital content.
- Managing social media activities with key internal and external stakeholders, including creating and posting content, monitoring and listening, and, in consultation with supervisor, responding to incoming messaging for the FIT Alumni channels.
- Assisting in the management of advancement/alumni relations and other school content on website pages to ensure consistent messaging.
- Assisting staff with creation of promotional materials for recruitment, events, and conferences.
- Performing various administrative and operational tasks related to alumni relations departmental events and activities, participating in special projects, events assistance, and other duties as assigned.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, communications, organizational leadership, or a related field.
- 2-3 years of experience in communications, marketing, branding or related experience in a comparative field, preferably in a higher education or nonprofit environment.
- Master's degree in marketing, public relations, communications, organizational leadership, or a related field.
- Content development, marketing and/or graphic design experience is preferred.
- Experience in electronic communications and social media tools strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is strongly preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills including writing, editing, and presenting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work diplomatically with partners and represent the Foundation and FIT.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and goals, and present solutions (vs. identify challenges).
- Ability to collaborate closely with colleagues in development and across departments.
- Knowledge of Google Suite is essential.
- Knowledge of social media channels such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn etc.,
- The ability to gather various data points, assets, and information and synthesize them into short recaps, social media posts, presentation slides, or other audience facing materials.
- The intelligence, maturity and sound judgment necessary for interacting with board, trustees, administrative and academic leadership, faculty, and staff.
- An ability and willingness to quickly learn FIT and the University's history, mission, demographics, faculty, current programs, departments, etc., as well as the University culture to be able to persuasively articulate how FIT distinguishes itself from peer institutions.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Occasional; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Frequent
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit- Constant; Stand-Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Occasional; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift
Days/Hours: Monday- Friday 9:00 am- 5:00 pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Hiring Salary: $56,720- $58,772 per year with step increments per Salary Schedule 90, after one year of service and annually thereafter.
( See Successor Agreement, page 7 )
Employee Holiday and Work Schedule
Remote Pilot Program
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, email@example.com.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Communications Coordinator.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for 70 years. Providing a blend of hands-on experience, classroom study, and liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
Among our wide variety of Art and Design programs are Accessories Design, Interior Design, and Toy Design; Business and Technology majors range from Fashion Business Management to International Trade and Marketing to Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. Our outstanding faculty offer students experiences that mirror the marketplace and give them a competitive edge.
Notable alumni designers include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Reem Acra, Brian Atwood, Francisco Costa, Norma Kamali, Nanette Lepore, Bibhu Mohapatra, and Ralph Rucci. Other prominent graduates include Leslie Blodgett, creator of Bare Minerals; international hotel and restaurant designer Tony Chi; Nina Garcia, creative director, Marie Claire; Edward Menicheschi, chief marketing officer, Condé Nast; and Joe Zee, editor in chief and executive creative officer, Yahoo Style.
The Museum at FIT, one of the world’s leading collections of fashion and textiles, houses more than 50,000 garments and accessories and more than 300,000 textiles and swatches.
Learn more at fitnyc.edu.
Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert