Temporary Onboarding Specialist/HR Assistant
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- New York, New York, United States
- Closing date
- 6 Apr 2023
- Full Time
The Human Resources Assistant will provide a broad range of administrative support to the business operations of the Office of Human Resources. Reporting to the People Operations Manager, the incumbent will serve as the primary point of contact for new employees completing the onboarding process and general office support to the department. This position provides an excellent opportunity for service-oriented professionals that are passionate about the onboarding experience and technology based processes.
- Manage Applicant Tracking System (ATS) for non-college work-study, adjunct faculty, non-credit instructors, part-time staff and contingent workers.
- Ensure accurate data entry including entering new employees into the HR database, BANNER.
- Complete the new onboarding process efficiently to ensure employees have timely access to FIT services and a positive onboarding experience.
- Verify in-person submission of I-9 documents to determine eligibility of employment and reciprocal I-9 processing.
- Maintain, and follow-up on completion of new employees' files, i.e., applications, confidential data forms and adjunct faculty background checks.
- Monitor and maintain various HR records including but not limited to, employee evaluations, personnel release forms, appointment letters, faculty hiring packets and confidential department files.
- Verify release forms and complete personnel file review requests.
- Manage calendars for Doodle Meet, PTO Requests, Lactation and HR Conference Rooms.
Administrative and Office Support
- Greet and direct visitors, handle incoming phone calls from the general public, faculty and staff; relay messages to the appropriate HR representative.
- Answer frequently asked questions relative to standard policies, benefits, hiring processes, etc.; refers more complex questions to appropriate senior-level HR staff or management.
- Monitor HR Solution Center for inquiries pertaining to new hire onboarding or as assigned.
- Assist the People Operations Manager and HR Director with special projects and initiatives as needed.
- Sort and distribute internal and external mail.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.
- Associate's degree required.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of business operations experience, including at least 6 months in a Human Resources Department.
- Previous experience working with applicant tracking systems (ATS) and human resource information systems (HRIS).
- Bachelor's degree in human resource management, business administration, public administration or related field.
- 6-12 months of onboarding experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Ellucian Banner ERP, Human Resources Information System
- Knowledge of USCIS eligibility of employment and HR compliance.
- Previous experience working in a unionized environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong written and communication skills with acute attention to detail.
- Outstanding customer service and passion for delivering service excellence.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism and diplomacy.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with a diverse constituency and interface with employees at all levels.
- Ability to recognize errors, make recommendations for improvements and refer complex matters to management.
- Ability to follow through on directives and improve performance through constructive feedback.
- Proficiency with human resources information systems (HRIS), and similar software applications.
- Strong computer skills including expertise in Microsoft Office and Google applications.
- Working knowledge of office equipment; computers, printers and fax machines.
Read Comprehend- Constant; Perform Calculations- Occasional; Communicate Orally- Constant; Reason & Analyze- Frequent; Write- Frequent
The position is on campus, primarily in an office environment.
Sit- Constant; Stand-Occasional; Bend- Occasional; Walk- Occasional; Climb- Occasional; Pull- Occasional; Push- Occasional; Lift
Days/Hours: Monday- Thursday 8:30 am- 5:15 pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department.
Hiring Salary (Prorated): $56,720- $58,772 per year
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
This posting is for one (1) temporary position that is expected to last through June 30, 2023; possibility of conversion to permanent employment on May 13, 2023.
Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants- Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO/ Affirmative Action Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212.217.3360, email@example.com.
The Fashion Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a full-time temporary Onboarding Specialist/HR Assistant.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for 70 years. Providing a blend of hands-on experience, classroom study, and liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are affordable and relevant to today’s rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college grants associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
Among our wide variety of Art and Design programs are Accessories Design, Interior Design, and Toy Design; Business and Technology majors range from Fashion Business Management to International Trade and Marketing to Cosmetics and Fragrance Marketing. Our outstanding faculty offer students experiences that mirror the marketplace and give them a competitive edge.
Notable alumni designers include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Reem Acra, Brian Atwood, Francisco Costa, Norma Kamali, Nanette Lepore, Bibhu Mohapatra, and Ralph Rucci. Other prominent graduates include Leslie Blodgett, creator of Bare Minerals; international hotel and restaurant designer Tony Chi; Nina Garcia, creative director, Marie Claire; Edward Menicheschi, chief marketing officer, Condé Nast; and Joe Zee, editor in chief and executive creative officer, Yahoo Style.
The Museum at FIT, one of the world’s leading collections of fashion and textiles, houses more than 50,000 garments and accessories and more than 300,000 textiles and swatches.
Learn more at fitnyc.edu.
Seventh Avenue at 27th Street
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert