At Burberry, we believe creativity opens spaces. Our purpose is to unlock the power of imagination to push boundaries and open new possibilities for our people, our customers and our communities. This is the core belief that has guided Burberry since it was founded in 1856 and is central to how we operate as a company today.
We aim to provide an environment for creative minds from different backgrounds to thrive, bringing a wide range of skills and experiences to everything we do. As a purposeful, values-driven brand, we are committed to being a force for good in the world as well, creating the next generation of sustainable luxury for customers, driving industry change and championing our communities
The successful candidate will actively participate in the development of the team, standardisation and process improvement and helping to transition work into BBS.
• Job holder will be accountable for managing a team of accountants which will service functional shared service requirements on a global basis
• Responsible and accountable for the end-to-end solution and performance of an integrated set of processes, reporting and provisioning processes
• The job holder is expected to run an effective and sustainable team which has the capability to deliver the agreed services now and in the future
• Managing the various internal stakeholders and accompanying change management programmes to oversee successful service delivery
• The job holder may be expected to establish the business case for consolidating, upgrading or implementing new systems but may not necessarily own them
• Serve as escalation for customer complaints, service failures or adherence issues in GB10
• Review and approve transactions, balances, journals and reports
• Ensuring compliance with the Group Policies, including operating of internal controls over financial reporting
• Role may require work on some weekend/public holidays during half year and year end periods and some travel.
• Being a service organisation, they will need to ensure there is the necessary clarity across the team about roles, goals, timescales and standards and that work is carried out to expected standards
• Ensures that Group Finance, Retained Finance Business Partner, Operations and BBS business goals and performance objectives are reflected and achieved in the process improvement projects and operations of the end-to-end process
• Sets future process and service direction and alignment to BBS customer and business strategies in the Opex sub-function
• Apply understanding of assigned business process to identify gaps and propose continuous improvement measures
• Work closely with the process owners and team leads to understand root causes and represent process procedures, practicalities and exceptions
• Proactively seeks feedback from the Group Finance, Retained Finance Business Partner and Operations specialists, as well as the delivery team, and uses this to inform future delivery of services.
• Works with other Burberry Group functions to leverage potential upgrades or consolidate shared systems and processes.
Qualifications & Experience
• Professional accounting qualification is preferred e.g. ACA, CA, ACCA or CIMA.
• SAP training and certification is a plus.
• Demonstrated management experience, including history of hiring, training, motivating and retaining accounting personnel.
• SAP and fashion retail industry experience preferred.
• Strong technical background with experience in a FTSE company applying IFRS is required.
• Worked within a multicurrency environment, analysing and understanding the impact of movements in exchange rates in all areas of income statement. Experience of BPC, and advanced excel skills, an advantage.
• Experience leading and/or building an accounting team in a Shared Service environment is a plus.
• Must be able to fully grasp the broader issues and provide functional guidance to those reporting to them, rather than rely on their own technical skill set.
• Requires good understanding of IT systems and processes.
• Requires proven leadership skills in managing teams. Can provide examples of effective leadership and getting the best out of people, including during demanding and unsettling periods of change.
• Has track record and appetite for delivering continuous improvement. Able to generate commitment to change amongst own team.
• Can provide evidence of working collaboratively with peers.
• Uses a variety of techniques to influence a range of technical and non-technical stakeholders across a range of operational issues. Able to establish personal credibility at all levels.
• Builds effective relationships through interpersonal skill and technical expertise to aid cross-functional working, delivery and a sense of collaboration and teamwork.
• Proactively asks for and acts on personal feedback, developing a high level of self-awareness.
• Can operate both at the tactical and, where required, detailed level.
• Displays an affinity for technology's ability to drive efficiencies and enhance service delivery.
• Thinks conceptually and identifies and addresses future challenges and opportunities, often in an ambiguous environment. Needs to be comfortable in 'dealing with the numbers' - i.e. able to extract strategic themes and trends, compare and convert figures across the group and use high-level figures to make decisions.
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.