The Tiffany & Co. repair polisher performs finishing and cleaning for new and customer owned jewelry, watches, flatware, hollowware, and fancy goods. The polisher works with all common metals, including platinum, and gemstones as well as some specialty materials. The polisher is expected to perform finishing and cleaning repairs using standard techniques including buffing with all compounds, lapping, thrumming, satin finishing, sandblasting, hand polishing, ultrasonic and steam cleaning, rhodium plating, etc. The polisher possesses a deep knowledge of jewelry materials including gemstone identification and sensitivity. The polisher understands workshop safety and ensures risks are minimized.
Perform merchandise finishing and cleaning on all assigned orders according to Tiffany & Co. standards:
- Quality - Complete all craft work according to Tiffany quality and design standards; read, understand and follow written repair instructions and seek clarification when needed; inspect all assigned orders for additional defects and note, repair or escalate as appropriate; perform "specialty craft work" (e.g. rhodium plating, sandblasting) as appropriate to skill set and work mix.
- Productivity - Meet or exceed established productivity standards based on work mix and role.
- Organization - Maintain assigned orders in an organized fashion ensuring that due dates are adhered to; report any late or potentially late orders to administration or management. Maintain an accurate log of all assigned orders as specified by management. Request any needed parts, consumable material, tools or supplies according to established procedures; maintain all assigned parts, metals and scrap in a secure and organized fashion and according to established procedures.
Knowledge and development:
- Develop deep Tiffany & Co. product knowledge including but not limited to designers, collections, materials, methods of manufacture and repair techniques.
- Proactively seek and apply new skills and techniques that result in quality, safety or productivity improvements.
- Proactively share skills and techniques with coworkers; actively collaborate with coworkers, administration and management in problem solving and process improvement.
Occupational health and safety:
- Comply with all health and safety requirements including personal protective equipment, hazardous material handling and disposal, machine guarding, ergonomics, etc.
- Maintain a safe workstation free from risks.
- Immediately report any safety incidents, including "near misses," to management.
Service center support:
- Provide assistance as needed throughout the center; perform alternate craft work as needed and as capable; assist administration with workflow management; participate in special projects.
- Contribute to the safe and efficient operation of the workshop; assist in cleaning and maintaining common areas and equipment; report any worn, broken or unsafe tools, equipment and supplies; identify and report any gaps in workshop infrastructure.
Required Qualifications/Primary Job Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 2 years experience as a production or repair polisher, jeweler or silversmith, with experience in all aspects of metal finishing
- Successful completion of a Tiffany & Co. polishing bench test
- Verbal and written English language skills
- Ability to meet the physical, cognitive and work environment requirements as outlined below
Preferred Qualifications/Primary Job Requirements:
- Experience in jewelry repair
- Technical school diploma
- Craft or technical course work (e.g. trade association training seminar)
- Ability to operate computer-operated technical equipment (e.g. engraving machine)
- Graduate gemologist or previous GIA course work
- Jewelers of America or other technical certification
- Multi-lingual, especially Japanese, Cantonese, Korean or Spanish
The hiring range for this position ranges from $19 - $34/hr. The rate of pay offered will be dependent upon candidates' relevant skills and experience.