The Finance Controller will be responsible for the success of the finance department’s day to day operations but also provide key insights to support the Finance Director and senior management team in business development for this high-growth luxury leather goods brand. The right candidate will have the opportunity to grow within the role and company and get valuable exposure to different areas of the industry, such as production, wholesale, e-commerce and investor relations.
This role reports into the Finance Director and is supported by a Finance Assistant and part-time bookkeeper.
- Excellent management of the day-to-day operations of a small but highly ambitious finance department
- Clear and accurate financial reporting across stakeholders, internal as well as external
- Supporting the Finance Director with strong cash flow management and communication
- Strong cost management and clear communication on forecasts and budgets to the wider team. Constantly work to identify costs savings.
- Accurate reporting of gross margin, including explanations behind variances each month; work with product development team on improvements
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of monthly management accounts in timely and accurate manner for key stakeholders and Board Supported by Finance Director, prepare budgets for each department, and follow up with department heads monthly on actuals Collect sales data and present findings to the team in weekly reports Assist the Finance Director in various treasury functions including cash flow monitoring, foreign currency dealings and treasury administration duties Day-to-day responsibility for the accounting and bookkeeping functions, ensuring books and records are maintained to business and legal requirements Year-End accounts preparations for outsourced accountant, and supporting Finance Director in the audit process closely and confidently Setting up the weekly payment schedule and work with all departments to ensure strong communication of upcoming payments or any changes to payment schedules Weekly bank reconciliations and monthly reconciliations of all accounts Invoicing and reconciling payments from wholesale accounts Work closely with Production Manager and Logistics Manager reviewing factory invoices and reconciling proforma payments Closely monitor AR/AP functions to maintain effective cash-flow Maintain fixed asset registers Preparation and filing of quarterly VAT Returns Payroll processing and HR support Oversee movements in the ERP system (Brightpearl) and ensure actions are feeding through correctly to the Accounting software (Xero) Oversee office management of the head office in W1
Key Personal Competencies /Skills
We are a small team so you must be proactive and willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in. We are looking for:
- Experience from a similar role, in a digital-first retail company
- ACA, ACCA or CIMA accredited (fully or partially qualified)
- Data driven and analytical with strong ability to use data to present findings to team
- International experience (subsidiaries reporting) including VAT and duty handling is highly meriting
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Highly motivated, hardworking, and flexible; comfortable with change