Reporting to the VP of Design, this candidate will support the design team in the development and execution of garments across all women’s categories. The role requires a candidate that is able to identify business opportunities through a creative and brand appropriate lens. This candidate will be responsible for designing seasonal product that is in line with all creative business targets.
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- This candidate will help with creative research and concepting of creative ideas in accordance with seasonal line plans; concept presentation should include research, sketches, drapes, fabric manipulation, textile developments and finishing treatments. All designs presented should consider finishes, trims and branding as needed.
- Present focused design concepts including research imagery, sketches, sew tests, treatments, vintage references when applicable. Upon feedback make necessary adjustments and represent and/or develop ideas further.
- Prioritize developments in accordance with overseas deadlines; work with tech designers to ensure all necessary information is passed and communicated to overseas factories. Keep in close communication with tech and pd to ensure developments are proceeding according to plan and present solutions where necessary.
- Delegate and prioritize design workflow from associate designer, assistant designer, intern and liaise with cross functional PD, tech and pattern maker to ensure all design details are communicated accurately. Ensure all fabric, trim and construction information is present. Work with patternmakers from initial drape through fittings, to execution of showroom samples.
- Participate in styling and fitting of collection for show and/or look book.
- Participate in all necessary SMS through TOP sample fittings. Ensure design integrity and all fit comments are considered and communicated efficiently. Liaise with tech, PD and production to maintain aesthetic and production viability through to the customer.
- Analyze, leverage and integrate sales and bookings data to inform ongoing and future designs.
Knowledge and Background Requirements
- *resume & portfolio must be attached*
- BA or BFA
- Fashion Design MFA is a plus
- 5+ years experience in designer capacity
- Excellent flat sketching skills
- Excellent knowledge of patternmaking or draping
- Excellent knowledge of construction, sewing techniques and finishes
- Familiar with fabric mills, fabric capabilities and applications
- Strong color and print sense
- Excellent time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and ability to lead, delegate and manage a team
- Prior experience managing and leading design assistants
- Strong ability to present ideas
- Strong Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign skills
- Enthusiasm to bring new energy into design process
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/D/F/V
In compliance with the New York City salary transparency requirements, the potential salary for this position is from $90,000 to $125,000, which represents a range commensurate with experience, knowledge, and skills required.