Reporting to the Vice President of Design, this candidate will be responsible for leading the design and development process for women’s garments across all categories. The role requires a candidate with the ability to identify business opportunities through a creative and brand appropriate lens. This candidate will liaise with product development, merchandising, tech and production to ensure a cohesive and structured process from concept to customer. This candidate will be responsible for designing seasonal product that is in line with all business targets.
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Research and concept creative ideas in accordance with seasonal line plans; concept presentation should include research, sketches, drapes, fabric manipulation, textile developments and finishing mock-ups. All designs presented should consider finishes, trims and branding as needed.
- Build color story and fabric proposals by concept to present to VP of Design and Creative Director.
- Present full seasonal concepts to VP of Design and Creative Director. Upon feedback make necessary adjustments and represent and/or develop ideas further.
- Delegate and prioritize design workflow from designer, assistant designer, intern and liaise with cross functional PD, tech and pattern maker to ensure designs are adhering to calendar milestones.
- Prioritize all tech packs for overseas development. Communicate approved sketches to tech designers, ensuring all fabric, trim and construction information is present.
- Communicate approved sketches to Patternmakers, ensuring all fabric, trim and construction information is present. Work with patternmakers from initial drape through fittings, to execution of showroom samples.
- Work with atelier, PD and fabric team to manage and strategize workflow of atelier and out of house styles to be presented at proto review.
- Manage and ensure accuracy of all cross functional information input into the system to reflect design changes or updates.
- Organize and prepare for all design meetings and follow through on updating all design collateral as needed when changes occur.
- Oversee and check design boards consistently to ensure they are always updated.
- Participate and prepare for weekly design ops meetings; ensuring that all team members have up to date information on all developments.
- Pre-fit all prototypes prior to proto review with the intention of making improvements and preparing solutions for presentation to the creative director.
- Prepare for all proto review meetings; making sure that all garments have been assessed and considered. If necessary prepare solutions or supplemental ideas/ concepts that are in accordance with the seasonal line plan.
- Communicate SMS launch by style and sku to PD and ensure design boards and system are updated to reflect launched styles.
- Check all SMS upon arrival and make any necessary adjustments.
- Prepare for all styling meetings; making sure that all SMS are present and organized in order of the line sheet. Prepare any supplemental design materials needed for style out.
- Participate in styling and fitting of collection for show and/or look book.
- Participate in BOM reviews with an ability to make solution oriented decisions on trim, counter sourcing and sales call outs.
- Participate and lead all SMS through TOP sample fittings. Ensure design integrity and all fit comments are considered and communicated efficiently. Liaise with tech, PD and production to maintain aesthetic and production viability through to the customer.
- Analyze, leverage and integrate sales and bookings data to inform ongoing and future designs.
- Work on any additional projects as requested by VP of Design and Creative Director.
Knowledge and Background Requirements
- *must attach a resume & portfolio*
- BA or BFA
- Fashion Design MFA is a plus
- 10+ years experience in designer capacity
- 2+ years in Design Director Role
- Excellent flat sketching skills
- Excellent knowledge of patternmaking or draping
- Excellent knowledge of construction, sewing techniques and finishes
- Familiar with fabric mills, fabric capabilities and applications
- Strong color and print sense
- Excellent time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage workload with multiple deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and ability to lead, delegate and manage a team
- Prior experience managing and leading design assistants
- Ability to communicate and present design ideas and concepts to a larger audience
- Strong Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign skills
- Enthusiasm to bring new energy into design process
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/D/F/V
In compliance with the New York City salary transparency requirements, the potential salary for this position is from $175,000 to $200,000, which represents a range commensurate with experience, knowledge, and skills required.