The Tiffany & Co. Lead Polisher:
Skills and repairs type:
- possesses, and is proficient, in nearly all technical aspects of polishing/finishing all merchandise items including customer owned jewelry, watches, flatware, hollowware, etc.
- possesses a deep working knowledge of all common metals, including platinum, and gemstones as well as specialty materials like pewter, leather and wood.
- is expected to perform polishing/finishing duties using his/her technical experience. This includes buffing with all compounds, lapping, thrumming, satin finishing, sandblasting, hand polishing, ultrasonic and steam cleaning, rhodium plating, etc.
- possesses a deep knowledge of merchandise materials (including metal assay and gemstone identification and sensitivity) and is able to communicate this knowledge to technical and non-technical co-workers.
- assists in all candidate bench testing and evaluation of potential polisher candidates.
- understands workshop safety, ensures risks are minimized and sets an example in this area.
The Lead Polisher:
- possesses nearly all of the technical skills within the polishing/finishing department and executes these skills with the highest quality and proficiency.
- participates in technical development of all polishing/finishing personnel at all technical levels.
- participates in all certification processes including quality and proficiency review.
- is the point for high jewelry and specialty item polishing/finishing consultation.
- is the point for equipment and tooling consultation.
Key responsibility 1 : Perform setting, repairs and alterations on all assigned orders according to Tiffany & Co. standards.
Quality - Complete all craft work according to Tiffany quality and design standards; read, understand and follow written repair instructions and seek clarification when needed; inspect all assigned orders for additional defects and note, repair or escalate as appropriate.
Productivity - Meet or exceed established productivity standards based on work mix and role. Organization - Maintain assigned orders in an organized fashion ensuring that due dates are adhered to; report any late or potentially late orders to administration or management. Maintain an organized bench and work space. Request any needed parts, consumable material, tools or supplies according to established procedures; maintain all assigned parts, metals and scrap in a secure and organized fashion and according to established procedures.
Key responsibility 2 : Knowledge and development:
Take a role in developing the technical skill of new hires and co-workers; actively collaborate with coworkers, administration and management in problem solutioning. This solutioning is carried out with the goal of delivering the highest luxury experience for the Tiffany & Co. customer. Technical solutions will be engineered, carried out and shared with global TSC teams as well as Product Development and Category Management where applicable. Technical Training:
Participate in one-on-one or group training as needed to local and remote technicians.
Take a role to help less knowledgeable technicians to develop a working knowledge of Tiffany & Co. products.
Proactively seek and apply new skills and techniques that result in quality, safety or productivity improvements. Proactively share skills and techniques with coworkers; actively collaborate with coworkers, administration and management in problem solving and process improvement. Service center & event support:
Provide technical support for events. This support is comprised of new sale alterations as well as technical solutioning.
Key responsibility 3 : Occupational health and safety:
Comply with all health and safety requirements including personal protective equipment, hazardous material handling and disposal, machine guarding, ergonomics, etc.
Maintain a safe workstation free from risks. Immediately report any safety incidents, including "near misses", to management
Contribute and educate technical, and non-technical, staff in the safe and efficient operation of the workshop; assist and educate the technical staff in cleaning and maintaining common areas and equipment; report any worn, broken or unsafe tools, equipment and supplies; identify and report any gaps in workshop infrastructure. Identify technical equipment and tools with the goal of continually improving efficiency and safety within the workshop. Profile
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Bench experience in high-end jewelry manufacturing
- Knowledge of complex and intricate jewelry construction and polishing as well as precious metal properties
- Organizational, interpersonal skills and partnership skills.
- Ability to communicate issues clearly in a team environment; ability to effectively interact with clients and multiple staff levels.
- Ability to work overtime to support business needs
- Accredited Jewelry certification
- Experience/knowledge jewelry and polishing processes