At Burberry, we believe creativity opens spaces. Our purpose is to unlock the power of imagination to push boundaries and open new possibilities for our people, our customers and our communities. This is the core belief that has guided Burberry since it was founded in 1856 and is central to how we operate as a company today.
We aim to provide an environment for creative minds from different backgrounds to thrive, bringing a wide range of skills and experiences to everything we do. As a purposeful, values-driven brand, we are committed to being a force for good in the world as well, creating the next generation of sustainable luxury for customers, driving industry change and championing our communities.
Lead the research, design, implementation of Burberry's Finance sustainability agenda. Lead and inspire the dedicated Finance Sustainability team and work closely with Finance colleagues, the Corporate Responsibility team and other business functions e.g. Supply Chain to deliver broader ESG strategy.
Deliver ongoing disclosure requirements, including TCFD (Taskforce for Climate related Financial Disclosure) reporting, SASB (Sustainability Accounting Standards Board) reporting, Sustainability Bond use of proceeds report, sustainability KPIs under the revolving credit facility, and the impact of climate change on the consolidated group financial statements. Monitor emerging disclosure requirements and develop Burberry's response.
Support development and implementation of KPI's and annual targets for business actions to deliver Scope 3 emission reductions year on year towards 46% reduction by 2030 and net zero by 2040. Support regeneration projects and TNFD representation.
Coordinate all activities and Finance resources in supporting business sustainability initiatives e.g. Authenticity and Traceability as a strategic investment; reduction in waste through improved raw materials management.
Support ad hoc projects with internal and external stakeholders including Investor Relations' ESG engagement.
Support external engagement including management of commitments and activities under A4S (Accounting for Sustainability).
As a trusted finance partner, you will use your finance expertise, connecting seamlessly with your colleagues, to provide commercial finance support, influencing decisions or strategy to deliver bottom-line benefits.
This role should be viewed as a co-pilot to the function budget holders, pro-actively looking for opportunities above what the business is requesting and addressing areas not previously considered.
Whilst remaining unburdened by day-to-day processing responsibilities, you will retain overall accountability for the financial control of the function.
Driving the Finance sustainability agenda
Accountable for Burberry's Finance sustainability agenda:
• Develop and maintain schedule of Finance sustainability activities
• Track status of sustainability initiatives across Finance, and providing regular updates to key stakeholders
• Support Business ESG strategy e.g. CO2 emissions reduction, waste management (raw materials), social programmes and improved governance
• Support development and implementation of KPI's and annual targets for business actions to deliver Scope 3 emission reductions year on year
• Support Reward team with sustainability based incentives planning and reporting
• Lead the Finance Sustainability team
• Deliver and present progress reports on Finance sustainability initiatives to Audit Committee, Risk Committee and Sustainability Steering Committee
• Deliver Finance Sustainability training materials to COO and wider business
Deliver the Group's TCFD reporting:
• Lead cross-functional TCFD working group
• Work closely with the Corporate Responsibility team to create financial models to measure the impact of climate change under different temperature scenarios
• Deliver TCFD Annual Report disclosure, to be compliant with prevailing requirements
• Obtain external assurance over the TCFD disclosure
Oversee the Group's SASB KPI reporting:
• Review data collation and disclosure of our SASB KPI reporting
• Support Finance input into other indices e.g. DJSI, CDP etc.
Sustainability Bond and RCF
Working closing with the Group Treasurer to deliver the requirements and disclosures associated with the Sustainability Bond and monitoring the Group's adherence to the sustainability KPIs under the revolving credit facility:
• Measure the spend on categories of buildings, packaging and BCI Cotton (including organic cotton)
• Report annually on the spend by category and disclose narrative on the definitions and qualitative assessment of impact
• Secure external assurance over the annual use of proceeds
• Monitor the Group's adherence to the sustainability KPIs associated with the revolving credit facility
Sustainability budget process for Scope 3 emission reductions
Specific activities include:
• Work closely with stakeholders across the business to support development and implementation of KPI's and annual targets for business actions to deliver Scope 3 emission reductions year on year and establish a governance process to monitor progress
• Monitor developments in internal carbon pricing
• Qualified Accountant
• Experience of presenting to Senior stakeholders
• Evidence of delivering cross functional complex projects and managing multiple deadlines
• Experience in drafting Annual Report disclosures
• Understanding of sustainability issues in finance and knowledge of TCFD reporting
• Experience in risk management preferred but not essential
Burberry is an Equal Opportunities Employer and as such, treats all applications equally and recruits purely on the basis of skills and experience.
Posting Notes: United Kingdom || Not Applicable || London || FINANCE & OPERATIONS || FINANCE REPORTING || n/a ||