The part-time Library Associate provides high caliber reference and instructional services for all library users. Based in the Research and Instructional Services unit of the library, this position also supports daily unit and library operations, participates in collection management, and facilitates access to library resources at all library service points.
The Library Associate provides research assistance, circulation assistance, and other customer service at library services points for students, faculty, staff, and visiting professionals from the industry. Responsibilities:
- Provide in-person and virtual reference services to FIT affiliates and visiting researchers
- Guide the research process for library users by facilitating use of the online catalog, print resources and reference materials, including directories, complex databases and specialized resources
- Create and edit online research guides
- Apply problem solving abilities to appropriate circumstances routinely addressing complex research questions, complaints and resolving problems
- Assist with scheduling virtual reference assignments, provide backup scheduling when required
- Provide data for unit reports and academic library studies by collecting and reporting statistics
- Record and distribute minutes for unit meetings
- Participate in and plan content for library outreach activities and library programming
- Conduct tours and provide general library orientation sessions for groups of incoming students/visitors.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position. For detailed responsibilities and essential functions, click here .Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 2-4 years of high level customer service experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 2-4 years of related library experience.
- Experience in providing reference services
- Experience working with Springshare Library platform or similar.
- Excellent customer service skills and communication skills - demonstrated ability to listen, to understand and communicate effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Proficiency in research methods, including navigating online catalogs and knowledge of effective search terminology.
- Ability to work with a diverse community, work at a fast pace while exercising good judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Demonstrated ability to show flexibility and adaptability in changing work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to pivot between competing priorities and integrate change into work routines.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
The hourly rate for this position is $37.98 per Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) , Salary Schedule 92. Work Schedule
Days/Hours: W-F, 12pm-8pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com . Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office environment. The physical requirement for this position will require constant sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, occasional walking, and occasional lifting 10 lbs. or less. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Part-Time Library Associate in the Gladys Marcus Library.