Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company's brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps, among others, constitute one of the world's most widely recognized families of consumer brands. At Ralph Lauren, we unite and inspire the communities within our company as well as those in which we serve by amplifying voices and perspectives to create a culture of belonging, ensuring inclusion, and fairness for all. We foster a culture of inclusion through: Talent, Education & Communication, Employee Groups and Celebration.
Lead Counsel, Real Estate & Store Development, EMEA Ralph Lauren is seeking to appoint a senior in-house Legal Counsel to support our business throughout the Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA) region, with a particular focus on commercial real estate leasing and store development matters. Reporting to the Head of International Legal, the role will be based in London and will be part of the EMEA Legal Department and you must be admitted to practice in the UK or an EU Member State.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Draft, review and negotiate lease agreements for the Company's retail stores, factory outlet stores, offices and storage space across the EMEA region
* Manage the EMEA lease portfolio of the Company, including lease renewals, terminations and rent reviews
* Work with various internal stakeholders to ensure that leases signed within the region comply with global corporate policies
* Draft, review and negotiate agreements relating to branded stores or projects developed and/or operated by partners
* Draft, review and negotiate service contracts relating to store development and operations
* Identify and evaluate legal issues related to EMEA real estate leases and recommend structures and best practices to achieve business objectives
* Partner with business clients to address disputes involving leased properties
* Support strategic real estate initiatives, including cost savings opportunities
* Manage and liaise with external counsel
* Work with other members of the EMEA Legal Department on ad hoc projects and assignments as required
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
* Qualified lawyer with minimum 8 full performance cycles of relevant legal experience
* (prior in-house experience would be helpful, but not required)
* Essential requirement for the role - recognized law degree and admitted to practice in the UK or an EU Member State.
* Solid understanding of continental European legal systems
* Strong experience in commercial real estate legal practice, particularly drafting and negotiation of retail store lease agreements and advising on real estate issues in Europe.
* Sound commercial acumen, judgment and interest, with the ability to give timely, accurate and pragmatic counsel to the business.
* Excellent written and spoken English (fluency in another European language such as French, German, Italian or Spanish would be very helpful)
* Ability to work independently.
* Good analytical, communication and interpersonal skills
* Willingness to occasionally travel around the region when required.