Student Life at FIT strives to develop the overall wellbeing of FIT students through thoughtful and holistic programming aimed to develop the intellectual, social, leadership and civic engagement of students. Reporting to the Director of Student Life, the Associate Director of Student Life for Leadership & Civic Engagement will work to assist in the development, coordination, and implementation of programming that fosters the wellbeing of students through Leadership & Civic Engagement initiatives. The Associate Director of Student Life provides overall strategic leadership, program development, and day-to-day management of the Student Life department at FIT. The Associate Director will:
- Understand and wholeheartedly embrace a student wellbeing philosophy that creatively inculcates holistic wellness initiatives into student leadership development geared towards building civic engagement and social change in a college environment.
- Using a wellness focus, develop and build on currently existing programs such as annual leadership weekend retreats, the Tiger Leader Peer Mentor training program, campus wide leadership workshops and seminars, "impact days" service-learning initiatives, spring break outreach, and community service programs.
- Coordinate and implement Civic Engagement initiatives for FIT students through voter registration, Constitution Day programming, and other community development activities based on the Social Change Model.
- Conduct robust assessments and prepare evaluative summary data on programmatic initiatives for semester and annual reports.
- Partner with the Director of Student Life to advise the Student Government Association.
- Supervise a team of program coordinators who manage 70+ clubs and organizations, the Student Activities Board, and other Student Life initiatives.
- Manage day-to-day expenses/finances in accordance with multiple Student-Life budgets.
- Support and participate in related departmental, divisional and institutional programs such as Weeks of Welcome, Family Weekend, Open Houses, student retreats, Orientation etc.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to Student Affairs through participation and involvement in national associations, conferences and other professional development opportunities.
- Have an understanding of Gallup's StrengthsFinder Assessment and plan to become and maintain status as a Gallup-Certified Strength's Coach.
- Participate on campus wide committees and other collaborative initiatives that are geared to increase student involvement and development.
- Work closely with Student Life Orientation to help coordinate, and implement programs like student orientation, Common Read, and First Year Experience initiatives.
- Serve in the absence of the Director of Student Life.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
Master's Degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, Mental Health Counseling/Social Work or closely related field. A minimum of five years of relevant experience in leadership and civic engagement development initiatives. Candidates will be able to demonstrate a theoretical foundation on the principles and practices of leadership. They will have a successful record of developing student programming and a demonstrated commitment to developing partnerships with academic areas to create educational co-curricular experiences outside of the classroom.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in student affairs in a higher education environment, sound knowledge of current practices and theories in student affairs/development as well as the application of assessment techniques for measuring the effectiveness of programming. Must have outstanding writing and presentation skills, the ability to work effectively both independently and as a part of a team, and the ability to manage priorities. Additional Information:
Please note, all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the background check process.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Starting Salary
Starting Salary: $69,475- $102,388 per year with step increments after one year of service and annually thereafter.
The final starting salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience; Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Salary Schedules pg. 72.
Instructor: $59,673- $69,524
Assistant Professor: $69,475- $102,388
Associate Professor: $81,317- $122,427
Professor: $99,159- $149,217 Work Schedule
Days/Hours: M-F, 30 hour work week, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
- 4-day Summer Workweek
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visa Sponsorship
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office environment. The physical requirement for this position will require constant sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, occasional walking, and occasional lifting 10 lbs. or less. Application Instructions:
In order to considered for this position, please submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application materials.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites applications for an Associate Director of Student Life for Student Leadership & Civic Engagement.