About Gap Inc.
Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea-that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms-is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our teamis made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.About the Role
Gap Inc. is committed to making a difference in the lives of our employees, customers, and communities in which we do business. If you're also passionate about making a difference by influencing public policy outcomes, come grow with us.
The Government Affairs team is looking for a Senior Specialist for Federal Government Affairs based in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. We seek someone who is proactive, has strong ties to government, can work independently as well as organize effective coalitions, and has a strong interest in retail.
The Senior Specialist for Federal Government Affairs helps to shape federal public policy to ensure a sustainable business climate and promote the values that fulfill the mission of our co-founders, Doris and Don Fisher, to "do more than sell clothes."
Reporting directly to the Director of Federal Government Affairs, this person will be a strategic thinker who looks several moves ahead and develops and implements strategies to ensure Gap Inc.'s corporate interests are advanced in legislation and regulatory policy. As part of a high-performing team, the successful candidate will be proactive and able to work independently in a fast-moving environment and bring a solid understanding of government affairs and public policymaking, and strong presentation, communication and writing skills. Collaboration and teamwork across functions are essential.
The successful candidate will be proactive, interested to learn, and excited to engage on Gap's policy issues. You will also be eager to build internal and external relationships. A solid understanding of government affairs and public policymaking, strong organization, presentation, project management, communication and writing skills are critical.What You'll Do
Who You Are
- Advocate for key policies that impact Gap Inc.
- Track and analyze legislative and regulatory activities impacting Gap Inc.
- Participate in cross-functional teams and write concise and compelling public policy positions
- Effectively communicate Gap Inc.'s polices and represent its interests before elected officials and other stakeholders
- Work with external groups/stakeholders to establish strategic alliances to advance objectives and support business strategy
- Conduct research into legislative and regulatory proposals
- Prepare memos, presentations, and briefing materials for both internal and external meetings. PowerPoint skills are a significant plus.
- Project manage our Public Policy Committee, which engages key internal stakeholders on policy conversations
- Project manage quarterly newsletters to political stakeholders and key internal stakeholders
- Assist in weekly, monthly, and quarterly updates on government affairs activities
Benefits at Gap Inc.
- 3+ years of experience in government affairs, advocacy, public policy, campaigns, political action committees, advocacy, or related areas
- Clear, concise, and compelling oral and written communication skills
- Ability to translate complex technical issues and communicate simply and powerfully
- Ability to interpret and analyze political developments, policy and legislative proposals
- Supports multiple projects simultaneously and able to track projects with varying deadlines
- Independent, self-starter with excellent time management skills, organization, and attention to detail
- Eager to dive into the details with a no-task-too-small attitude
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five "on the clock" hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee's base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. In 2022, we were recognized by Forbes as one of the World's Best Employers and one of the Best Employers for Diversity.US Candidates
Please note that effective, June 30, 2022, Gap Inc. will no longer require any of its employees to wear face masks or require proof of COVID vaccination, unless required by local or state/provincial mandates or as part of Gap Inc's quarantine guidelines after being exposed to or testing positive for COVID. Therefore, please disregard any language in any job posting that refers to Gap Inc.'s face mask and proof of vaccination policy as said policy is no longer effective.