Global Brand Public Relations is an integral function of Marriott’s Global Communications & Public Affairs (GCPA) department which leads Corporate Communications, Media Relations, Internal Communications, Government Affairs, Social Impact, and Multicultural Affairs for the Company. Together, the two Senior Directors supporting Luxury Brand Public Relations (PR), oversee the strategic public relations for Marriott International’s luxury brand portfolio, which includes The Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve, St. Regis Hotels & Resorts, JW Marriott, W Hotels, and The Luxury Collection. While both the Senior Directors have their specific portfolio of luxury brands, they work collaboratively to support the luxury brand portfolio (MILUX) and both report to the Senior Vice President (SVP), Global Brand and Portfolio Public Relations. These roles work at Marriott’s Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland or MI Lab in New York City. The Senior Director, Luxury Brand PR for The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, and MILUX has one direct report and one shared direct report resource supporting the entire luxury brand team.
The Senior Director establishes the group’s vision and works with the team to identify goals and KPIs to drive results for Luxury Brand PR. This Senior Director, Luxury Brand PR is focused on the successful PR positioning of The Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve, and the St. Regis Hotels & Resorts brands to drive brand affinity as well as building awareness of the overall MILUX portfolio of luxury brands, including the executive positioning of the newly appointed President, Luxury. The Senior Director, Luxury Brand PR is also responsible for fully integrating public relations into each brand’s overall consumer marketing plans and communications objectives, developing and successfully executing these consumer-focused public relations plans utilizing proven PR practices as well as out-of-the-box thinking that drives awareness of, and action by, the company’s target consumers.
The Senior Director, Luxury Brand PR will work closely with the Luxury brand and marketing organization as well as with PR colleagues in the continents to ensure the company presents an aligned global luxury narrative. It is the responsibility of this position to understand and embrace brand voice, charting unique positioning for each of the brands within Marriott’s luxury portfolio. This role will develop and implement break through PR activations, transformational media or other brand partnerships and leverage trends to drive consumer action as well as brand distinction. The Senior Director, Luxury Brand PR is focused on story telling around prominent (“brand halo”) openings and brand innovations. In addition, the Senior Director will focus on PR exposure that amplifies Marriott’s luxury portfolio’s marketing activations. This role works hand in glove with the VPs of Marketing for the luxury brands to ensure brand initiatives have press legs.
The position is responsible for driving PR strategies for Marriott International’s luxury brand portfolio and fully integrating public relations into each brand’s overall consumer marketing plans and communications objectives ensuring programs drive consumer action as well as brand distinction and leverage the power of Marriott International’s luxury portfolio of brands.
- Creative Ideation & External Lens: Responsibilities of this role include the development and implementation of creative approaches to attract media attention and interest in Marriott’s brand stories – whether that is through unique partnerships, creative pitching, experiential activations, one-of-a-kind events or leaning into trends (including sustainability and DEI) and the cultural zeitgeist in a way that is authentic for the specific brand. This role relies on a continual focus on communication trends and themes externally. As part of the responsibilities, the Senior Director will need to develop a broad awareness of the external environment and its applicability to Marriott’s communications.
- Media Relationships: A critical component of this role is to use the candidate’s already established extensive media relationships - preferably in key luxury and consumer outlets - or ability to develop relationships in this very critical niche of the media and other key outlets/journalists in order to continually “pitch” Marriott brand stories.
- Writing: The individual in this role is responsible for creating, editing and developing their own PR materials as well as overseeing the team’s development of all related PR materials including messaging, news releases, executive briefs, talking points, presentations and pitches, among other documents.
- Team Management: The Senior Director manages a team with two direct reports (where one report also supports the PR work for the luxury brand portfolio); together with the Director, they are responsible for creating and maintaining a team environment that encourages accountability, high standards, innovation, emphasizing strong business performance as well as cultivating an understanding of and appreciation for the Marriott culture. The Senior Director oversees, manages, and mentors the Luxury PR team and is accountable for the team’s performance to meet and/or exceed the goals as well as driving both GCPA and Marriott’s objectives. In addition, the Senior Director is an example of a good Company steward and promotes Marriott’s core values.
- Collaboration: The Senior Director coordinates with other departments and teams – including within Global Brand and Portfolio PR, across GCPA and the company more broadly – and builds strong working relationships. This role creates strong professional relationships both internally and externally.
- Global Alignment: The Senior Director, Luxury Brand PR is responsible for coordinating Luxury Brand PR globally, coordinating with Continental PR leads, to ensure global message alignment and appropriate regional implementation, as well as integrating their priorities in brand initiatives.
- Resource Management: The Senior Director strategically manages agency resources as well as assigned budget. Reviews contracts and expenses; has approval authorization for certain expenses.
- Measurement: This position will also monitor and measure success using tools and resources available and will deliver goals and metrics on a timely basis to senior management.
- Requirements for Position
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience and demonstrate strong leadership and relationship skills as follows:
- An exceptional portfolio reflecting 12+ years of communications experience in public relations. Luxury brand experience, luxury hospitality experience, or knowledge about the hospitality business preferred.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of public relations, media relations and consumer media. Experience leading a PR organization as well as overseeing the work of PR agencies.
- Superior communications skills, both verbal and written. Ability to develop and implement highly effective strategic and measurable communications plans.
- Creative problem-solving skills and excellent time management. Ability to manage multiple PR campaigns simultaneously across a portfolio of multiple brands with the ability to influence multiple stakeholders.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively build relationships and interact with associates at all levels within the organization and with the general public.
- Desire and flexibility to travel and attend luxury brand events and hotel openings.
- Ability to routinely work from the NYC Office or HQ office in Bethesda.
Education: Bachelor's degree required, preferably with a concentration in Communications, Journalism, English, or Marketing; Master’s degree a plus.