We are seeking a motivated and enthusiastic SQL Database Administrator to join our team. As a SQL DBA, you will assist in managing and maintaining our SQL databases, ensuring their performance, security, and availability. You will work closely with senior DBAs and other IT professionals to support database operations and contribute to the overall success of our organisation. Salary ranges from £34,340 - £40,877.
As a SQL Database Administrator, your role encompasses a diverse range of responsibilities crucial to the smooth operation of our database systems. You will play a pivotal role in the installation, configuration, and ongoing maintenance of our SQL databases, ensuring they function optimally. This includes monitoring and fine-tuning performance to enhance query execution and responsiveness. You'll also be responsible for implementing database changes on production servers and troubleshooting various issues, from performance bottlenecks to connectivity problems and data inconsistencies. Collaborating closely with development teams, you'll help design efficient database schemas and data models. Security is a top priority, so you'll assist in enforcing user access controls, data encryption, and robust backup strategies. Additionally, your role involves planning and executing migrations, both on-premises and in the cloud, and actively participating in capacity planning efforts. Staying updated with industry trends and best practices is essential, and you'll be involved in managing database backups, restores, and crafting TSQL scripts. Your commitment to these responsibilities will contribute significantly to the reliability and security of our data infrastructure. Essential criteria:
- Strong understanding of SQL and relational database concepts.
- Familiarity with database management systems, particularly Microsoft SQL Server.
- Basic knowledge of database administration tasks, such as backups, restores, and performance tuning.
- Proficiency in writing SQL queries and understanding database structures.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Good communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams.
- Any certifications related to SQL database administration (e.g., Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate) would be a plus.
- Experience working with Windows servers
- Good communication and documentation skills
- Experience of administering Windows applications and using change control processes
- Analytical approach to problem solving.
- Scripting experience
- SQL stack
Assistance and training will be given to the right candidate, it is expected that you have the aptitude and self-motivation to develop your own skills and knowledge within the team environment. This will lead to Microsoft certification exams.
This is an excellent opportunity for a SQL Database Administrator to gain hands-on experience and grow their skills in a supportive and collaborative environment. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, along with opportunities for professional development and career advancement.About Us
You know Next, but did you know we're a FTSE-100 retail company employing over 35,000 people across the UK and Ireland. We're the UK's 2nd largest fashion retailer and for Kidswear we're the market leader. At the last count we have over 500 stores, plus the Next Online and it's now possible to buy on-line from over 70 countries around the world! So we've gone global!About some of our Benefits
- 25% off a huge selection of Next, Lipsy & Victoria's Secret products
- Company performance based bonus
- Sharesave scheme
- On-site Nursery available; OFSTED outstanding in all areas
- 10% off most partner brands & up to 15% off Branded Beauty
- Early VIP access to sale stock
- Access to fantastic discounts at our Staff Shops
- Subsidised restaurant, coffee shop and juice bar
- Access a 24/7 digital GP and other free health and wellbeing services
- Free on-site parking