APPARATUS is a New York-based design studio that explores the relationship of lighting, furniture and objects in immersive environments, threading the historical and the cultural through a modern lens.
An Interior Designer works within the APPARATUS Interiors team across multiple categories of built environments, moving deftly between the ephemeral and long term. This includes interior project scopes of new galleries, exhibition and set design, maintenance of galleries, visual standards and facilities project support.
- Produce detailed construction drawings; including plans, elevations, details, custom millwork and upholstery to APPARATUS standards that meet and exceed industry drafting standards.
- Exhibit and communicate knowledge of design history and an agility to move between styles and references with awareness of materiality and fabrication techniques.
- Support project initiatives with hands-on work including lite prototyping, fixture, furniture and hardware installation as well as installation of decorative furnishings, including and not limited to upholstery, artwork, accessories, and drapery.
- Work with the Director of Interiors to source, specify, and price materials for Interiors projects. This includes trade showroom visits, compiling material schedules, and preparing purchase orders from APPARATUS standardized forms.
- Create and maintain 3D models in Rhino.
- Collaborate closely with peers in APPARATUS Interiors and Product teams while fostering an environment of respect, support, and comradery.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD, Rhino, Adobe Suite, and Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity and experience with a suite of Interior Design skills as FF&E sourcing and specifications, knowledge of upholstery and furniture fabrication techniques and drawings, introductory knowledge of building codes and fluent in design industry ergonomic standards.
- Strong aesthetic and presentation skills, with a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent verbal and communications skills with accountability and follow-through.
- Understanding of all phases of design from concept development, drawing documentation, through installation and maintenance.
- Ability to work across multiple concurrent APPARATUS Interiors projects.
- Excellent time-management skills, to work under pressure and deliver projects under tight deadlines.
- Critical thinking with the ability to foresee problems and vocalize solutions.
- Ability to respond professionally to critical feedback and be proactive in seeking support when required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture, Interior Design, or related field.
- 5 + years of professional working experience in high-end interior design or set design; fabrication/shop experience is a plus.
- Experience in a business that requires a team to execute the common vision, understands the value of the individual and the team.
- Proven ability in a high-paced environment that values consistency, efficiency, and excellence.
- Position is based in the APPARATUS New York studio and is not remote.
- Full-time studio hours: Monday-Friday generally 10:00AM – 6:00PM.
- Longer hours and weekend availability as needed. Possible travel opportunities to support Installations.
- Annual performance review.
This is a full-time position with competitive compensation and benefits. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position is based in our New York Studio. Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.