The Director of Alumni Relations and Development develops and implements a comprehensive Alumni Engagement program of meaningful events, communications and fundraising initiatives designed to increase alumni engagement and support among more than 70,000 undergraduate and graduate alumni of FIT. Through a wide variety of programming, volunteer opportunities, and communications, the Director will build strong ties between alumni and the college that complements and supports the mission of FIT. Under the supervision of the AVP for Advancement, they will work closely with Foundation colleagues, the President, the VP for Advancement, as well as with members of the college community including its faculty and administrators, in an effort to create and support a culture of engagement and giving at FIT while strengthening ties with its alumni. Essential Functions:
- Create short and long-term strategies for the Office of Alumni Relations. In conjunction with the AVP, develop and implement a strategic plan aimed at increasing lifelong engagement between alumni and the Fashion Institute of Technology.
- Identify opportunities to infuse pride in the "FIT brand" and FIT degree. Create a visible and strong alumni network for professional and personal support, and create programming and messaging that add to the creation of a culture of philanthropy, gratitude, and the importance of giving back.
- Manage and lead the annual fund development and programming, including quarterly appeals, an annual FIT Giving Day and other fundraising initiatives and programs focused on alumni and friends of the college. Meet or exceed a designated six-figure fundraising goal annually.
- Manage an assigned portfolio of alumni prospects and maintain an active schedule of personal visits with key alumni, especially potential alumni leaders and donors, recruiting alumni for volunteer roles on alumni committees and partnerships and soliciting donations.
- Enhance opportunities that foster involvement and long-term engagement in both the alumni program and the life of FIT through partnerships across campus including career services and undergraduate admission.
- Serve as liaison with and provide organizational support to the FIT Alumni Advisory Council, various departmental alumni councils, and college committees charged with representing various alumni constituencies.
- Build and grow an alumni membership model and develop regional programming in key cities and locations on a national and global level.
- Create volunteer structure and volunteer opportunities that support and promote Alumni Relations strategic plan.
- Identify, recruit and engage alumni for volunteer leadership roles, especially successful and highly dynamic alumni, creating an increasingly effective and engaged volunteer network in which alumni advance to increasing levels of involvement and leadership.
- Develop a comprehensive Alumni Relations program and educate graduating students about alumni benefits and engage them in various programs and fundraising initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with the Office of Communications and External Relations to share donor and alumni stories, generate interest in college programs, educate alumni on engagement opportunities, and deepen alumni interactions with FIT through print and electronic communications, as well as unique content creation.
- Maintain an Alumni database, ensuring accurate and complete records; and that contacts, biographical and career information of alumni are updated.
- Partner with Admissions to spearhead the introduction of alumni involvement in the admissions process; partner with Career Services to plan the growth and accessibility of career networking and mentoring services for students and alumni.
- Manage the Alumni Relations budget; within the annual Advancement program budget, manage existing and/or additional alumni programs, services and communications.
- Raise funds for select special projects and events in collaboration with Advancement Office.
- Provide leadership, management, and direction to the alumni engagement staff.
- Develop and monitor performance goals for alumni relations staff and provide guidance for staff professional development.
- Manage Alumni Relations, currently Assistant Manager of Alumni Relations and Communications Coordinator.
- Administer the ongoing business, activities, and operation of the alumni relations office, ensuring responsiveness to alumni needs and inquiries, as well as college and divisional priorities.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 10-15 years of experience leading alumni relations/engagement, membership program creation and management, and development
- Experience in engagement campaign development, volunteer management.
- Proven project management experience and the ability to handle and move forward multiple projects simultaneously.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Master's degree preferred.
- Excellent communication skills including writing, editing, and presenting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an engaging and innovative personal style and a high level of sophistication and maturity in social and professional settings, including the ability to work diplomatically with partners and represent the Foundation and FIT.
- Demonstrated ability to work with high-level prospects, donors, and campus/trustee leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, mentor, and guide a growing team of professionals.
- Ability to operate independently, exercise sound judgment, and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and goals, and present solutions (vs. identify challenges).
- Ability to collaborate closely with colleagues in development and across departments.
- Highly developed leadership and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability in problem identification and resolution with excellent analytical and critical thinking skills is essential.
- Expert-level knowledge of Microsoft Office programs and web applications.
- Proficiency in Raiser's Edge or similar CRM database system.
- An understanding of and the ability to articulate the accomplishments and goals of a complex organization.
- The intelligence, maturity and sound judgment necessary for interacting with board, trustees, administrative and academic leadership, faculty, and staff.
- An understanding of the important role of diversity, inclusion, and equity to institutional advancement and alumni engagement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships and effective channels of communication at multiple levels inside and outside the organization with a proven ability to successfully interact with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of sound judgment and diplomacy, with a commitment to confidentiality.
- Strategic planning, organizational, administrative and budgetary experience is a must.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Starting Salary
Starting Salary: $110,00.00 - $120,000.00 per year; commensurate with experience and qualifications. Work Schedule
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
- 4-day Summer Workweek
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visa Sponsorship
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, constantly analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office environment. The physical requirement for this position will require constant sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, occasional walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about us, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for the Director of Alumni Relations and Development in the FIT Foundation.