Bloomingdale's makes fashion personal and fun, aspirational yet approachable. Our mission is to guide and inspire our customers to make style a source of creative energy in their lives. We will always strive to make Bloomingdale's like no other store in the world. Everyone plays a critical role to bring our mission to life. Regardless of position, we believe all colleagues have a voice and access to share their thoughts with every level of leadership. Our colleagues are passionate, driven, entrepreneurial and collaborative. We welcome and embrace diversity of background, thought and opinion while having a lot of fun along the way. Job Overview Job Overview
Bloomingdales is seeking an experienced alterations expert with ability to supervise a store alterations operation. As a Bloomingdale's Hourly Alterations Manager (HMA), you will help the customer look great and feel wonderful about his or her new purchase while leading a team of professional alterations experts. Fitting the garment to the customer is the final step in closing the sale, so alterations play a key role in our business. You will be responsible for working on both men's and women's garments including suits and evening wear. The HMA functions as a player coach, leading by example and ensuring a profitable, timely, customer centric operation which reflects brand Bloomingdale's to the detail level. Essential Functions Essential Functions
Qualifications and Competencies Education Requirements Min/Preferred Education Level Description
- Effectively manage workroom Profit & Loss, including revenue, payroll, and non-payroll expense.
- Develop collaborative relationships with the store leadership team; understand all store goals and plans, informing Alterations team of store initiatives to drive sales and serve customers
- Lead by example, providing regular feedback to alterations colleagues; coaching behaviors and using performance management tools to drive results
- Lead store alterations team, leveraging individual expertise to ensure quality and timeliness of work
- Train team as needed on all policies, procedures, equipment usage, and safety criteria
- Present a pleasant, knowledgeable, and positive attitude to the customers and be able to explain alterations services and value
- Deliver a quality experience and product to drive return business
- Deliver quality work on time, meeting customer specifications to reduce waste and achieve profitability
- Use product knowledge and fitting expertise to aid selling colleague in building the sale
- Adhere to best practices for deployment of staffing and material resources
- Manage supplies inventory/budget and deliver profit plan
- Track and process corresponding paperwork for all alterations services
- Mark garments correctly; able to follow makings done by others
- Use all alterations equipment (pressers, sewing machines, etc.) appropriately and safely; ensuring timely maintenance and repair
- Follow department safety rules.
- Know which garments can/cannot be altered and understand different fabrics/styling
- Experienced in high-end men's/women's apparel; ability to work with leather, beading or other special fabrics
- Full knowledge of the complete alterations process is required by hand and by machine
- Educate selling colleagues on key aspects of alterations
Minimum High School or GED High School Diploma or equivalent required Years of Experience Min/Preferred Years of Experience Comments
Minimum 3 3-5 years related experience Competencies
Physical Requirements Physical Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- 3-5 years related experience.
- Direct Alterations and Leadership experience required - preferably within Retail or Fashion.
- Effectively communicate and present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, and all levels of internal and external business partners.
- Ability to effectively plan and execute strategies.
- Ability to monitor and maneuver workflow independently to achieve priorities.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule with retail hours, including day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Requires periods of walking, standing, hearing, talking, reaching with extended arms, crouching and climbing ladders
- Frequent use of computers and other office equipment
- Requires close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Frequently lift/move up to 25 lbs.