Communication Design Pathways Department seeks a forward-thinking, collaborative, technologically advanced multidisciplinary designer and academician with leadership expertise. The successful candidate will be experienced in branding for activations, high-profile events, consumer product packaging, retail and merchandising. Candidate must be a self-starting creative who will contribute to shaping the long-term vision and future of the Packaging Design program, aligned with the mission of the department and the school, and with the college's strategic plan.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate established professional brand design experience with a portfolio that evidences a proclivity for brand strategy, design process, consumer product packaging design, three-dimensional design, retail, motion, and interactive design. The candidate will demonstrate the ability to articulate the interconnection between brand and packaging design, space and experience design. The successful candidate will possess wide-ranging leadership experience in the brand design profession and demonstrate evidence of projects multidisciplinary in approach.
The new faculty member will teach Associate and Bachelor level foundational courses, serve in an active role and participate in administrative responsibilities, departmental activities, and college-wide service, coordinate student internships support faculty mentorship, collaborate and innovate curriculum development, and contribute to the long-term vision for the program aligned with the mission of the department and the school, and with the college's strategic plan. Candidates interested in departmental leadership roles are welcome.
The ideal candidate should pursue and sustain creative and professional activities, affiliation with and participation in organizations of the discipline, and maintain a broad network of industry contacts to build academic-industry partnerships.
Specific competencies sought as related to the position: Globalism
- Demonstrate awareness of and respect for racial, ethnic, religious, social, and gender diversity, and incorporate this into the pedagogical experience.
- Demonstrate experience working with people of racial, ethnic, religious, social, and gender diversity in support of the education of a diverse student population.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of global branding including connections with organizations and leading design firms.
- Demonstrate an understanding of international corporate strategy for consumer product marketing and brand and packaging design.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the impact of e-commerce, sustainability and social on brand packaging design and experience design.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the global nature of today's brand and packaging design discipline.
- Demonstrate an awareness of professional, ethical and social responsibility.
- Demonstrate and expertise in the Adobe Creative Suite and interest and commitment in learning new technologies.
- Demonstrate uncompromising attention to detail, organization and ability to integrate skills and methodology of brand and packaging design for retail, social and e-commerce to help shape a collaborative curriculum.
- Implement an academically rigorous experience by incorporating professional and business practices in classroom learning.
- Develop a variety of assessment methods for student work to capture various learning styles in the classroom.
- Serve as an active contributor to curricular assessment and development.
- Maintain strong connections within the discipline to provide currency and to introduce and integrate new methodologies into the curriculum.
- Utilize the college's learning management system to maintain information required for assessment monitoring.
- Demonstrate the ability to collaborate with faculty, students, and the industry to develop the curriculum of the future.
- Demonstrate commitment to student-centeredness with active engagement in the classroom and participation in student work reviews, and provide constructive feedback, assessment, and guidance.
- Incorporate instructional variety to service students of different learning styles, abilities, demographics, and diversity.
- Demonstrate the ability to inspire interest, curiosity, creativity, and love of learning in students.
- Utilize a variety of instructional delivery methods including various media sources that to foster critical thinking, design thinking, and creative problem-solving.
- Demonstrate currency in the discipline, including new technology and the ability to incorporate changes into a progressive curriculum.
- Incorporate interdisciplinary approaches to teaching in a brand and packaging design learning environment.
- Contribute to ongoing student centeredness through advisement and mentorship and encourage engagement with the world of branding, packaging and experience design.
- Emphasize the development of critical thinking capabilities through an emphasis on planning, critique of work in progress, and excellence in work product development.
- Demonstrate ability to lead collaborative work through team-building and an understanding of the collaborative nature of learning and professional achievement.
- Demonstrate an understanding of uses of social media as a tool for outreach to the community
- Embrace new forms of pedagogy including online teaching, blended classes, workshops, flipped classrooms and experiential learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to support different student learning styles and abilities.
- Demonstrate ability to model successful participation in the field for students and provide mentorship that will lead to their first steps in a successful professional career.
- Demonstrate currency in industry practices and importance to students and graduates.
- Cultivate and maintain engagement with other academic institutions across the country and globally.
- Demonstrate the ability to cultivate and foster sustained relationships, convey and debate a design rationale and work with diverse faculty, students, and industry stakeholders.
- Demonstrate, as a committed artist, the pursuit of creative work with an active studio practice and exhibition record.
- Demonstrate a continued engagement in creative and/or scholarly work aligned to the brand design discipline and actively engage in professional, scholarly and academic activities.
- Maintain active participation and engagement in discipline-related activities that inform and enhance the discipline.
- Maintain and foster a cultivated network of alumni and experts in the discipline who will serve as a resource for internships, mentors, curriculum development, guest speakers and placement opportunities for graduates.
- Demonstrate currency and engagement in the teaching discipline.
- Model professional behavior that prepares students for entry into related fields.
- Demonstrate the ability to organize and lead program and departmental initiatives.
- Demonstrate collaboration and engagement in contributing to and participating in administrative and committee service for the program, department, the school, and the college.
- Utilize course management systems and demonstrate capability and currency in utilizing technology in the classroom/studio and emerging technology for graphic and dimensional design.
- Demonstrate expertise and possess discipline-specific technology skills and demonstrate effective utilization of technology and software in graphic and dimensional design to deliver course material and convey practical learning experiences to students.
- Demonstrate expertise in a range of technologies for graphic and dimensional design.
- Demonstrate knowledge of print and dimensional fabrication technology.
- Cultivate technology curiosity in the classroom through integration with student project work.
- Demonstrate interest and commitment in areas of emerging technologies in the brand and packaging discipline.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required with a minimum of six (6) years of professional experience in brand and consumer product packaging design at brand design firms and/or Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) companies.
- Prior college-level teaching with curriculum development and/or prior experience teaching a new design course
- Terminal degree in design.
- Three (3) years or more college-level teaching
- Eight (8) years or more of relevant professional experience
Please note, all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the background check process. Salary
The final starting salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience; Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Salary Schedules pg. 72.
Instructor: $59,673- $69,524
Assistant Professor: $69,475- $102,388
Associate Professor: $81,317- $122,427
Professor: $99,159- $149,217
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visa Sponsorship
This position is eligible for visa sponsorship by the Fashion Institute of Technology. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com . Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be any combination of the classroom, lab, and/or office space. Certain roles may be required to handle machinery and chemicals. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and occasional lifting 10 lbs. or less. Application Instructions:
In order to considered for this position, please submit the following documents online:
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Unofficial Transcript*
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
*Official transcripts are required within the first 30 days of hire. Applicants with foreign degrees must submit a completed credential evaluation comparing their foreign academic accomplishments to standards in the U.S.
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application materials.
This faculty position will begin Fall 2024. Review of applications will commence in Fall 2023 and continue until the position is filled, or until April 2024.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Communication Design Pathways Department of the School of Art and Design.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for over 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The mission of FIT's School of Art and Design is to educate the next generation of creative, socially responsible and globally relevant professionals able to succeed in the broad spectrum of art and design fields. The school challenges students to create new and valuable ideas through innovation, collaboration and experimentation.
The Communication Design Pathways Department at FIT offers a one-year accelerated and a two-year Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Communication Design Foundation, which introduce students to the diverse means and tools of visual communication, including digital design, design process, typography, dimensional design, and color theory. The program also prepares students to apply for four specialized Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programs in Advertising and Digital Design, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, and Spatial Experience Design.
The Communication Design Pathways Department aims to foster creative thinkers, talented doers, and imaginative innovators who can break through the noise with high-impact design, meaningful messages, and memorable experiences. The department provides students with a robust foundation in design principles and practices, hands-on skills in various media and technologies, and opportunities to connect with industry professionals and alumni. The department also encourages students to explore their own interests and passions through elective courses, minors, and study abroad programs. The Communication Design Pathways Department is committed to excellence in design education and preparing students for successful careers in the fields.