Established in 2012, APPARATUS is a New York-based design studio that explores the relationship of lighting, furniture and objects in immersive environments, threading the historical and the cultural through a modern lens.
APPARATUS is seeking an experienced, forward-thinking, Associate Creative Director to join our Art Department in a new phase of brand growth. This role provides the opportunity to work collaboratively, explore the visual and narrative, lead a team to execute from concept to completion, a broad scope of work with which to communicate the APPARATUS ethos across all channels and touchpoints.
In addition to substantive professional experience, the ideal Associate Creative Director has an education in the arts and a passion for contemporary culture, design and fashion that provides a wellspring of creative reference points. A natural confidence in self-expression, written and verbal communication is essential to both manage and inspire the ever-evolving team.
At APPARATUS, the balance of imagination and initiative is supreme. The Art Department is led by the SVP Creative and managed by the Associate Creative Director. Art Department initiatives and deliverables are informed through close collaboration with both Sales and Brand Departments.
- Collaborate with the SVP Creative and VP Brand to develop and execute all aspects of brand presentation.
- Develop photographic concepts and oversee photoshoots in collaboration with APPARATUS Artistic Director and SVP Creative.
- Supervise the editing / post-production and delivery of all brand photography and filmography.
- Identify opportunities for creative development and deployment.
- Delegate and supervise the Art Department, which currently consists of Art Director, Graphic Designer, In-house Photographer, Photography Editor, and Project Manager.
- Foster open and positive communication, motivate and professionally give team members thoughtful feedback and coach to results.
- Deliver high-level work and assets aligned with Sales and Marketing objectives and calendar.
- Develop brand presentation approaches, styles, and techniques.
- Research market trends and the competitive landscape.
- Maintain a cohesive and consistent brand voice on all channels.
- Ideate original graphics, copy, social media, and other marketing materials.
- Develop creative briefs based on concepts established in working sessions with direction, schedules, expected deliverables and budgetary requirements.
- Obtain stakeholder approval by presenting final layouts, storyboards, and illustrations, encouraging feedback, and responding to direction and requests.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in fine art, graphic design, or similar discipline.
- 7+ years as a professional Art Director/Creative Director in the interior design, agency, luxury or fashion sector.
- Strong portfolio showcasing elevated visual design, typography, and conceptual skills.
- Experience gaining consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to manage and motivate a team in an entrepreneurial and fast-moving environment.
- Critical thinker who can anticipate roadblocks and proactively address issues and train team members in the like.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively; ability to drive for results.
- Solid experience in post-production direction and supervision.
- Strong understanding and focus on social media platforms is imperative.
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to deliver within tight timelines.
- Natural creative talent leadership with an interest in the APPARATUS ethos.
- Strong creative POV with an understanding of business objectives.
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Full-time studio hours: Monday–Friday generally 10:00AM–6:00PM.
- Longer hours and weekend availability as needed.
PERFORMANCE REVIEW AND CHECK-INS SCHEDULE
- Weekly check-ins.
- Annual performance review.
This is a full-time position with competitive compensation and benefits. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Position is based in our New York studio. Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.