Bloomingdale's makes fashion personal and fun, aspirational yet approachable. Our mission is to guide and inspire our customers to make style a source of creative energy in their lives. We will always strive to make Bloomingdale's like no other store in the world. Everyone plays a critical role to bring our mission to life. Regardless of position, we believe all colleagues have a voice and access to share their thoughts with every level of leadership. Our colleagues are passionate, driven, entrepreneurial and collaborative. We welcome and embrace diversity of background, thought and opinion while having a lot of fun along the way. Overview
Bloomingdale's just launched a new channel of business - our digital marketplace - and we are seeking a Director of Bloomingdale's Marketplace Strategy to build this business model and drive accelerated growth. The Director of Marketplace Strategy will work cross-functionally across the Macy's Inc. enterprise to translate Bloomingdale's unique merchant and digital strategy into clear execution via this new Marketplace platform. The Director will lead all aspects of strategic development and execution, applying their knowledge of our strategy and retail to creative assortment curation, structured problem solving and cross-functional collaboration. Internally, this individual will work closely with Merchant, Digital, and Macy's Inc. Marketplace leadership to excite, engage and drive alignment on new business development opportunities and goals. Externally, this role will work to recruit sellers to the platform that match our strategy. This leader will be required to frequently interact with senior leaders across the enterprise.
Reporting directly to SVP of Customer & Revenue Growth, in close collaboration with our Chief Merchant and VP Macy's Inc. Marketplace, this role will be highly entrepreneurial and cross-functional leading all aspects of the marketplace lifecycle - from vision to strategy development to seller acquisition, onboarding, optimization - ensuring we successfully evolve from launch to sustained growth phase. This Director will develop and execute on a clear strategy on category entry, seller recruitment, and assortment curation-allowing marketplace to strategically enhance our current merchandising initiatives, accelerate digital growth and elevate the customer experience. Success will also be dependent on building and evolving into the optimal operating model across enterprise teams to drive cross-functionality accountability and results.
You are a great fit if you are entrepreneurial with a key eye on results, are energized by the idea of cross-functional leadership through influence, are excited about creating a new, innovative initiative, and you're passionate about retail, assortment strategy, technology, and/or marketplaces. Role and Responsibilities:
• Serve as the Bloomingdale's Marketplace lead for the enterprise-working consistently and collaboratively with the Chief Merchant, GMMs and VP of Marketplace to support the enterprise strategy while developing the Bloomingdale's brand specific priorities
• Define, establish, and execute the strategy behind the category, curation, and merchandising strategy for Bloomingdale's Marketplace, recruiting the right set of sellers to enhance the Bloomingdale's customer experience.
• Partner cross-functionally to align on goals, seller strategy, and long-term strategic vision-ensuring the development and evolution of the platform serves the needs of our customers and our business today and tomorrow.
• Partner closely with the Merchant organization to translate merchant ambitions into executable actions through a marketplace platform.
• Develop the best operating model across Macy's and Bloomingdale's team to ensure the most efficient ways of working while also leading the effort to build marketplace expertise amongst merchant and site teams.
• Lead one direct report to support vendor acquisition and optimization and an offshore team to support on onboarding. Work cross-functionally with the Macy's Inc. Marketplace team to optimize contributions and leverage shared services.
• Drive growth strategy and plan, keeping a pulse on competitors and evolving Bloomingdale's marketplace strategy for the needs of our customers. Report on progress and financial performance.
• Develop deep knowledge of the Bloomingdale's brand and customers to ensure the marketplace reflects appropriately. Qualifications
• We encourage candidates with either a bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in a related field to apply
• 6-8+ years of relevant work experience in merchandising, retail and/or e-commerce, online marketplaces is a plus not a requirement
• Excellent project management skills and strong sense of urgency to grow and manage a new emerging business.
• Balance both leading a team and influencing stakeholders across Macy's & Bloomingdale's with or without direct reporting authority
• Customer-centric mindset and experience with cross-functional collaboration.
• Intellectually curious with strong analytical skills, drawing actionable insights and recommendations, and building strategies against the analysis
• Excellent stakeholder management with Merchandising, Product Management teams and the seller community.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to effectively share technical information, communicate technical issues and solutions to all levels of business.
• Ability to juggle multiple projects - can identify primary and secondary objectives, prioritize tasks, and communicate timeline to team members.
• Ability to think creatively, strategically, and technically.
• Maintains confidentiality and security of sensitive company information.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.
• Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint). Skills
- Strategic Thinking: Understanding of business issues and opportunities and ability to translate them into a vision, strategy, and action plan.
- Solution Orientation : Knowledge of techniques and tools that promote effective analysis and the ability to determine the root cause of problems and create alternative solutions that resolve the problems in the best interest of the business.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and use judgment to make sound decisions.
- Collaboration & Strong Relationship Orientation: Ability to build partnerships with key business stakeholders to identify opportunities to leverage smarter decision-making across our organization. Collaboration skills are critical.
- Change Management: Ability to align the organization's people and culture with changes in business strategy, organizational structure, technology, and business processes. Act as a change agent to implement and manage significant change initiatives that have a material to the organization.
- Business Acumen: Awareness of the organization's vision, structure, culture, philosophy, operating principles, and values. Knowledge, insight, and understanding of business concepts, tools, and processes that are needed for making sound decisions in the context of the company's business; ability to apply this appropriately to diverse situations.
- Functional Proficiency: Knowledge of major responsibilities, accountabilities, and organization of the enterprise.