Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company's brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps, among others, constitute one of the world's most widely recognized families of consumer brands. At Ralph Lauren, we unite and inspire the communities within our company as well as those in which we serve by amplifying voices and perspectives to create a culture of belonging, ensuring inclusion, and fairness for all. We foster a culture of inclusion through: Talent, Education & Communication, Employee Groups and Celebration.
The Technical Designer is responsible and accountable for fitting garments and ensuring the RL standard for fit is set for suppliers to be compliant to the design intent of each style. They are accountable for ensuring all tools are created, maintained and distributed to enable a "Closer to Needle Point" strategy. The Technical Designer needs strong communication and organizational skills, as well as strong attention to detail. They own product from the concept (Initial Style Development) stage through to final production approval stage. The Technical Designer leads fit sessions, own product risk assessment, manages sample fit approvals, influences calendar & workflow for their specified garment category. This role requires a high level of communication, technical, patternmaking and problem-solving skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Create tech packs in PLM for suppliers to properly execute sampling/production to Design intent - This includes specs, draping, and construction sketches in the brand. · Develop PLM block templates for Tech Pack Creation and confirm final grade rules. · Ensure a robust design development handoff takes place with all the appropriate components to build a complete tech pack. · Expertise in fitting with live models, advise risks with construction, fit and execution within specific categories. · Responsible for physical garment measuring and full external and internal garment evaluations. · Execute options, mockups and revisions after Design review (i.e. embossing, scales, artwork placement, engineered embellishment placement, patchwork, details, etc.) · Provide technical insight into new silhouette development & manage brand block creation. · Partners with Design and Product Development to offer options to meet design intent and margin targets for new silhouettes. · Ensure consistent style aesthetic intent and construction from vendor to vendor on like styles. · Effectively communicate with cross functional teams to ensure seasonal calendar milestone deliverables are met. · Own & conduct prototype and stock fittings according to RL standards. · Ensure consistent style aesthetic intent and construction from vendor to vendor on like styles. · Owns escalating issues when and where appropriate with supporting facts, root cause and possible solutions. · Track workload efficiently to meet individual deadlines while pulling seasonal reporting from PLM when needed. · Own product Risk Assessment in partnership with QA partners prior to bulk production and ensure correct action plans are taken where necessary. · E- mail, phone and video conference communication with sourcing offices and suppliers. · Attend WIP meetings & seasonal line reviews. · Attend handoffs for Bulk after open to buy meetings.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
* Focus on opportunities that benefit the business and the consumer
* Execute innovative solutions with passion
* Look for ways to improve your performance and achieve measurable, impactful outcomes
* Communicate with purpose, debate with respect and support collective decisions · Strong verbal and written communication skills · Proven organizational skills and ability manage competing priorities · Strong sense of urgency, attention to detail & resourcefulness · Responsible and accountable · Ability to proactively problem solve · Expertise in patternmaking including draping, sewing, construction and fit for multiple or complex product categories · Proven ability to successfully oversee a complex category while making product quality and seasonal deliverables a priority · Knowledge of 3D programs a plus · Proficiency in computer patter programs, computer spec writing programs such as Gerber, PLM, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, MS Office. #LI-CE1