A Footwear Developer on On's Innovation Athletes Team is responsible for new product development from concept through to inline product creation. This role is responsible for leading how On translates our footwear innovation work to each of our inline footwear products and will also be responsible for working directly with the broader product teams to create high-quality prototypes and samples.
- Ability to translate world class athlete needs into industry leading concepts and products on a co-creation level with our top tear athletes
- Work very closely with Innovation Data Science, Innovation Technology and Innovation Material Team to develop innovation final prototypes
- Act as the bridge between conceptual footwear innovation prototype and the inline teams while ensuring scalability
- Fabricate and assemble materials and components using almost any type of machinery and hand tool, including (but not limited to!) machines for cutting, injecting, sanding, buffing, sewing, welding, pressing and lasting.
- Complex problem-solving related to product, process, efficiency, machining and scalable manufacturing
- Work closely with our development teams in Vietnam to assure commercialisation
- Assure mechanical and chemical standards for commercialising product
- Construct and assemble footwear samples and prototypes using various methods, processes, materials, and machinery
- Create accurate process documentation including data, design imagery, and product/process descriptions
- Lead innovation product execution in all creation phases; from sample construction and assembly to model and mold-making
- Maintain all materials and supplies needed for creation of footwear samples
- Occasionally perform minor maintenance and repair on shop machinery and equipment
- 2+ years of footwear-specific experience, performance footwear experience preferred
- Master's Degree in Engineering/Science or another relevant field preferred
- 2+ years of experience in traditional footwear manufacturing processes - injecting, cutting, sewing, welding, machining, laser cutting, construction, prototyping
- Demonstrated knowledge of material testing and methodology, comfort working with chemistry/chemical processes for materials creation - textiles, foam polymers, solvents, chemicals, polyurethane, epoxy, and silicone
- Ability to identify design issues and offer solutions to improve functionality and manufacturability of high performance product
- Comfortable commercialising new technology and leading manufacturing scaling, costing and testing
- Excellent communication skills and comfort adapting communication style between engineers, designers, athletes, product experts and cross-functional non-product creation partners
- Ability to work independently under a deadline on several projects simultaneously requiring both innovative ideas and engineering problem-solving
- Exemplify a high tolerance for ambiguity and solution-focused attitude
- Comfortable working with industrial machinery, 2D- and 3D designs as well as a good understanding of shell pattern
Meet The Team
On's Innovation team is responsible for On's future innovation, out-of-the-box thinking and the outstanding athlete-informed technology that differentiates On footwear from all other footwear products in the market. By joining the On Innovation Team, you will have the opportunity to be part of an agile and interdisciplinary team of experts in the areas of engineering and sports science.
What We Offer
On is a place that is centered around growth and progress. We offer an environment designed to give people the tools to develop holistically - to stay active, to learn, explore and innovate. Our distinctive approach combines a supportive, team-oriented atmosphere, with access to personal self-care for both physical and mental well-being, so each person is led by purpose.
On is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a work environment that is fair and inclusive, where all decisions related to recruitment, advancement, and retention are free of discrimination.