Ralph Lauren Corporation (NYSE:RL) is a global leader in the design, marketing and distribution of premium lifestyle products in five categories: apparel, accessories, home, fragrances, and hospitality. For more than 50 years, Ralph Lauren's reputation and distinctive image have been consistently developed across an expanding number of products, brands and international markets. The Company's brand names, which include Ralph Lauren, Ralph Lauren Collection, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Polo Ralph Lauren, Double RL, Lauren Ralph Lauren, Polo Ralph Lauren Children, Chaps, among others, constitute one of the world's most widely recognized families of consumer brands. At Ralph Lauren, we unite and inspire the communities within our company as well as those in which we serve by amplifying voices and perspectives to create a culture of belonging, ensuring inclusion, and fairness for all. We foster a culture of inclusion through: Talent, Education & Communication, Employee Groups and Celebration.
The Senior Technical Specialist is responsible for creating garment specifications and standards within PLM for Knit & Sweater within the brand. They own product from the concept (Initial Style Development) stage through to final production approval stage. The Product Engineer manages sample fit approvals, risk assessment, calendar & workflow for their specified garment category or categories. This role requires a high level of communication, technical patternmaking and problem-solving skills.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
* Ensure a robust handoff of information takes place from NY PD/TD with all the appropriate components to build a complete tech pack. Escalation where this does not take place
* Own tech pack creation from Design Board hand off/ Simplification line sheet to properly execute sampling/production to Design intent
* Dependent on Product area/gender, Red, Yellow, Orange pipeline
* BOM (like for like) where required
* Support product development with technical expertise to help achieve design intent that is commercially viable - recommend options and mockups mock-ups where required
* Own review and approval of samples including fit /balance, evaluation of fabric, measurements, construction, appearance and overall finish
* Dependent on Red, Yellow, Orange pipeline
* Manage allocation and input of testing protocols by style
* PLM management and updating (technical)
* Supplier fit certification program in own category suppliers
* Own product Risk Assessment prior to bulk production and ensure correct action plans are taken where necessary to meet RL standards
* Own escalating issues pre-shipment with supporting facts, root cause and possible solutions or options. Product CAP follow up. Updating NY TD colleagues where new standards or construction required.
* Partner with vendor technical teams to ensure that construction, finishing and fit is consistent across all programs within a category
* Ensure consistent style aesthetic intent and construction from vendor to vendor on like styles
* Effectively communicate with cross functional teams to ensure seasonal calendar milestone deliverables are met
* Track workload efficiently to meet individual deadlines and pull reporting from PLM when needed
* Orientation and development of new vendors including technical assessment and onboarding
* Travel to vendor/factories and work with technical teams to calibrate, train, educate, and understand factory capabilities
* Support other team members when needed
* E- mail, phone and digital (zoom) communication with sourcing offices and suppliers
* Attend WIP meetings & seasonal line reviews
* Feedback on vendor performance(technical)
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
* Degree or Certification in Apparel Manufacturing, Design, Patternmaking or equivalent work experience
* 6+ years in Technical Design
* Experience in patternmaking, grading, sewing, construction and fit for multiple categories.
* Experience in product risk assessment
* Ability to successfully oversee a basic category while making product quality and seasonal deliverables a priority.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Proven organizational skills and ability manage competing priorities.
* Strong sense of urgency, attention to detail & resourcefulness
* Responsible and accountable
* Ability to proactively analyze issues and problem solve
* Knowledge of 3D programs a plus
* Knowledge of testing a plus
* Good command of English language (written and spoken)
* Computer Skills: Proficiency in computer pattern programs, computer spec writing programs such as Gerber, PLM, Adobe Illustrator, MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word