This position will manage system and web development, DBA, and support resources, and have hands-on technical, project leadership and problem resolution responsibilities. It will be responsible for the staff, systems, environments, and vendor relationships within the Enterprise Applications & Services [EAS] unit and its suite of supported systems. It will maintain technical and procedural competence related to EAS's operations while working within a high-paced, collaborative environment that includes emergency outage incidents.
If you are an experienced software/systems engineer with the right people touch, this could be the job to catapult you into engineering management.
Work may be team/project work or independent, across multiple locations, and at times include irregular hours and/or on-call requirements.Responsibilities and Essential Functions: Leadership/Management
Manage/lead all unit aspects staff, applications, systems, vendors, projects, coding, change/patch management, issue/incident resolution, roadmapping/goalsetting, quality control, & work/project/staff schedules. Develop deep business/functional understanding of supported systems/services. Perform as a team member and leader, delivering high quality results on time. Lead/present in meetings. Assign/prioritize unit work. Create on-going unit training programs. Operations
Monitor systems, resolve problems (hands-on if needed), oversee break-fix, track Tier 2/3 tickets to resolution, evaluate system performance/uptime, assess the operational health of unit apps/systems/services. Oversee EAS systems/services as SME. Lead full SDLC (specs, prototypes, DB, ETL needs, launch). System/Process Improvement
Manage/implement automation/improvement initiatives. Perform IT governance tasks. Ensure compliance to coding standards/guidelines. Present recommendations on industry trends/technologies/standards. Lead/maintain unit's technical/operational roadmap?review/recommend new versions/systems/modules/workflows. Set goals/priorities to deliver roadmap (internal/vendor). Track roadmap progress via analysis/prioritization. Oversee/write SOPs/best practices. Environment/Maintenance
Oversee/maintain EAS's existing environment w/unit engineers & vendors. Develop/implement technology. Analyze/optimize EAS's systems' performance. Manage issues/risks. Investigate/fix issues. Oversee patches/migrations/upgrades. Maintain competence in unit technologies. Client Support
Provide customer/technical service and project work per policies/standards/stakeholder coordination. Liaise between IT & departments/vendors/SUNY. Information
Provide reports/help desk docs. Oversee/publish guides/SDLC/code docs, etc for existing/new EAS technologies/infrastructure.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position. For detailed tasks and work instructions, click here .Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of working experience (preferably within higher education) leading the full life-cycle of application development using current technologies, web frameworks, and API libraries.
- The position requires significant knowledge and understanding of the management, operations, and development of large-scale ERP systems, preferable Ellucian Banner and Central Square's Finance Enterprise.
- Knowledge of operational and project management principals and best practices is expected.
- A previous job history in system and web development, preferably in PL/SQL, Java, and Groovy/Grails, will be key to success in leading the EAS Unit.
- Knowledge and understanding of database technologies, including both Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server, is required as well.
- The position will require excellent leadership skills. Your skill history in system and web development and database oversight will earn you the respect of the software engineers and database administrators who will report to you. Your leadership, roadmapping, goal-setting and operational skill set will aid you as you oversee and manage application development and support activities, including emergency support and incident resolution.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, teamwork, collaboration, problem-solving, critical thinking, and troubleshooting skills will make you flourish as the strong leader that this unit needs.
- The position will require work to be conducted under minimal direction, on multiple projects, and under tight project deadlines.
- The skill-set profile of the unit's engineers is included below. The successful manager will excel at managing the day-to-day operations of the unit's engineers including assignment and prioritization of work related to the full technical skill set below:
- Demonstrated experience configuring and maintaining applications/services/systems in the following operating environments: UNIX/Linux (Red Hat) and Windows Server, using Tomcat, Active Directory, and LDAP.
- Proven experience delivering technical guidance and collaborating with business stakeholders throughout all phases of the software development life cycle [SDLC.
- Proficiency with one or more Enterprise Resource Planning [ERP] systems, preferably related to higher education such as Luminis Portal (Liferay), Banner, PeopleSoft, Jenzabar, Colleague, PowerCampus, Central Square, or similar.
- Desired experience with large scale databases - preferably Oracle and SQL Server -- and with writing and supporting APIs, system interfaces, and ETLs.
- Web Development-Related
- Development experience with Groovy/Grails and Web API development is highly desired
- Proven portal administration, configuration, and support, particularly using Internet Information Services [IIS], including single sign-on [SSO] & authentication administration (e.g. via WSO2, CAS, SAML, Shibboleth), as well as generation, installation, configuration, and updates of certificates
- Ability and proven experience to deliver technical guidance and collaborating with business stakeholders throughout all phases of the software development life cycle and through the process of incident identification, troubleshooting and resolution.
- Ability to work hands-on (whenever necessary) developing, creating proof-of-concepts and troubleshooting applications in PL/SQL, Java and Web based technology in both UNIX/Linux and Windows environments.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with staff inside the IT division and users throughout the college, representing IT in a positive light and striving for a high level of customer service and satisfaction.
- Ability to assess situations and dive into the details, or soar into the strategic vision of roadmapping and goal-setting.
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities are expected.
- Supervisory ability/experience is preferred, but not required.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Job Title
Manager, Enterprise Tech Services per Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) Starting Salary
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions of employment. Starting Salary: $90,151 per year with step increments per Salary Schedule 99, after one year of service and annually thereafter. Work Schedule
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health, Dental and Vision Plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
- Summer Fridays
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org . Visa Sponsorship
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com . Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office environment. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for an Enterprise Applications & Services Manager in the IT Enterprise Applications Department.