Join the Team.
Kansas City Current is home to the best-in-class training facility and the first stadium built for a women’s sport team. Our organization is committed to seeing the fullest potential of our athletes and of our city.
To foster our vision, we prioritize hiring and retaining world-class talent.
We’re looking for talented individuals with diverse perspectives, skill sets, and backgrounds to provide our guests an unforgettable experience. As leaders in women’s sports, we are excited to offer a variety of positions within our front office, stadium, and event settings. We provide opportunities for professional growth and development and invest in our employees through competitive pay, robust health care and wellness benefits, and employee resources and networking.
Who are we hiring?
The Current is seeking a Director of Retail Operations to strategically drive merchandise revenue, manage a team of retail staff, and ensure the overall success of the KC Current team store and retail locations.
What will you do?
- Prior sports retail experience
- Inventory control and management experience
- Knowledge and experience in inventory buying and vendor negotiations with focus on executing for future buying cycles.
- Leading a team of diverse retail associates, warehouse employees and other merchandise team members.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with warehouse manager to develop warehouse and logistics system to develop needs for Team Store and other retail locations.
- Drive strategic planning of product allocation across various distribution channels (Team Store, e-commerce, in-stadium pop-ups, and mobile retail)
- Develop merchandise plans and pricing that supports key strategic initiatives, launches, top sellers, seasonal campaigns, and trends.
- Execute merchandise buying and spreadhead negotiations with vendors to ensure the best possible rates.
- Manage relationships with vendors that product is purchased from and maintain up to date vendor contact lists.
- Oversee the implementation of standardized training and customer service protocols across all operated retail stores.
- Develop and implement strategies to fulfill required product levels to ensure all distribution channels are appropriately stocked at all times.
- Work with analyst to deliver detailed sales + inventory reports, matchday sales analysis, and other reporting as requested.
- Develop consistent reporting distribution to the ownership and marketing team.
- Create and lead merchandising, pricing, and promotional strategies to drive sales, increase revenue, and improve market share.
- Work with the Retail Marketing Manager to manage e-commerce inventory levels and oversee the product naming and order fulfillment processes.
- Work closely with marketing, retail, e-commerce, warehouse, buying, and creative teams to align strategies, campaigns, and initiatives.
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, and controlling the activities of merchandising and managing the internal employees.
- Set and drive operational standards to ensure all standards are met and maintained regarding merchandise presentations, customer service, and cleanliness.
- Stay up-to-date on all KC Current merchandise, promotions, and events and ensure the team is informed and knowledgeable.
- Work with Marketing team to schedule events and other promotional activities to drive traffic to Team Store.
Nice to have:
- Ability to identify trends within the retail industry, fan base, sports/entertainment landscape and implement into strategy as appropriate.
- In-venue visual merchandising experience
- Experience opening a new retail store/stadium
- Knowledge of NWSL and/or women’s soccer
What do you need to succeed?
- 7-10 years of experience in retail operations and management
- Proven experience in inventory management for a retail & e-commerce operation in annual revenue above $2 million
- Ability to manage retail team
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrated leader
- Clear and concise communication with team members and customers
- Highly organized individual
Special requirements of the Job:
Must be able to work a flexible schedule, inclusive of weekends, nights (event evenings & overnight operation shifts) and holidays.
Ability to monitor company communications and respond to time sensitive matters with senior executives. Travel may be required.
Ability to stand for extended periods of time and lift up to 30 pounds.
Ability to maintain flexibility and a sense of urgency, while working on a cross-functional team.
We value diversity and seek world-class employees of all backgrounds.
The Kansas City Current values diversity and is looking for extraordinary employees of all backgrounds! We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health choices, national origin, citizenship, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law mandates, we comply with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in all locations and will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required.