About Banana Republic
Banana Republic was founded with an explorer's spirit and a desire to venture to new places, beyond the boundaries of the everyday. Our clothing is designed for a life with no boundaries.
We travel near and far in search of the finest materials and fabric innovations to infuse style with substance, because we believe that what you wear should open a world of possibilities. And the people that make up Banana Republic share the same qualities as our brand: curious, connected, undaunted by boundaries. Sound like you? Join us for the adventure of what's next. About the Role
Banana Republic is looking for a Director of Editorial & Copy to help shape the tone of voice in all aspects of consumer facing communications, overseeing both Banana Republic and Banana Republic Factory. The ideal candidate has eight or more years of advertising, design agency, editorial, and/or in-house experience writing headlines & copy for marketing materials, events, promotions, emails, social media and digital. Additionally, this candidate must have experience in managing other writers and partnering with Art Directors and Marketing leadership to help create and maintain a consistent brand voice. The right candidate will also have a robust understanding of social media storytelling and can readily translate top level brand narratives into engaging strategies for content creation. Equally creative and strategic, this role requires a candidate who is a writer at heart, matched with the experience to translate big ideas into compelling, dynamic, and inspiring copy expressions.What You'll Do
Who You Are
- Direct written content for the full range of marketing events, circular, promo, social media and online initiatives. Manage the collective writing team between Banana Republic Marketing and Online. Write or direct a range of projects including seasonal themes, original ideas for events, and direct retail and online language.
- Manage editorial element of projects throughout entire production cycle; attend all kick-offs and creative reviews, create copy direction, and collaborate with Marketing, Merchant, and Product Design teams to ensure timely and appropriate creative.
- Collaborate with external agency partners to share copy and to ensure consistency of brand voice and editorial elements. Establish and maintain consistent brand voice and style for the brand, top to bottom.
- Continually manage brand voice execution, copy quality, and activities of direct reports.
- Work independently, with a copy team, with external partners, and with designers and art directors to create ideas, provide inspiration, and craft copy.
- Self-edit and proofread copy decks prior to delivery. Update copy decks as needed. Ensure accuracy of product information and price points. Proofread comps, mechanicals, and printer's proofs.
- Prioritize, manage workload, and that of direct reports. Work independently to anticipate problems before they arise; find solutions, follow-up on own initiative. Protect business by ensuring copy has stylistic, strategic, and legal approvals.
- Partner with marketing leads to help drive the conversation and storytelling for the brand's social media accounts, especially Instagram, drawing from a background that understands how to drive content creation and align it to the brand's initiatives, launches, and core storytelling verticals.
- Continually ascertain workflow efficiency and accurate completion of jobs according to preset timelines (including designer timelines, production deadlines, translation deadlines, and revisions due to changes in strategy or messaging).
- Create a development plan for direct reports and actively engage in the inspiration, training, and professional growth of the team.
Benefits at Banana Republic
- Superb command of English language and grammar.
- Ability to develop, adapt, and implement writing to match the Banana Republic voice.
- Proven ability writing and editing marketing vehicles for a retail brand
- Comfortable working on multiple projects in a fast-paced, timeline driven, retail environment.
- Experience managing others
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
- Articulate thinker with a sense of humor and an ability to take creative direction, react quickly, and interact productively during brainstorming sessions and kick-off meetings.
- Pop-cultural awareness and experience in social media and how consumers receive information.
- First-rate organizational skills.
- Proficient in Mac platforms and Microsoft Word.
- Eight or more years of advertising, design agency, publishing, and/or in-house copywriting experience, preferably with retail advertising examples in portfolio. (No technical writers or journalists please.)
- B.A. in English, creative writing, advertising portfolio school, or related field.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and Athleta, 30% off at Outlet, and 10% off markdowns at Gap, Banana Republic and Outlet.
- Competitive Paid Time Off plans.*
- Company match for donations and volunteer time*
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- Virtual health care 24/7*
- Maternity/Parental Top Up.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. In 2022, we were recognized by Forbes as one of the World's Best Employers and one of the Best Employers for Diversity.