The primary responsibility of the Classroom Assistant, in the school of Business and Technology, is to supervise students in campus laboratory settings under the supervision of the course instructor. Duties include but are not limited to the following: working with individual and groups of students as they practice required textile skills; develop/demonstrate skills; make and adjust assistance to meet student learning needs, and consults with the course instructor for any student deficiencies. The Classroom Assistant will participate and offer recommendations in team and department meetings.
The successful applicant should have:
- Demonstrable expertise in set-up, maintenance, and repair of Dubied knitting machines.
- Demonstrable expertise in set-up, maintenance, and repair of Stoll knitting machines and technology.
- Demonstrable expertise in set-up, maintenance, and repair of Santoni machine and technology.
- Demonstrable expertise in set-up, maintenance, and repair of Brothers machines and technology.
- Assist students with knitting machines during scheduled classes and open lab hours.
- Support the department in our laboratory facilities during classroom time and open lab time; conducting demonstrations, doing various set-up work both for the classrooms and labs.
- Dedicated stoll knit specialist with advanced experience in stoll knit machines and specialized software.
- Assist students with knitting on various knitting machines and hand related techniques, problem solving, and experimentation of student ideas. Provide insight and guidance to students on design ideas relating to industry practices. Ability to work independently with students in open lab.
- Assist faculty reinforcing new knit technology with hands on demonstrations and labs. Teach, and make recommendations for knit development.
- Train newly hired faculty and staff on desired equipment. Provide specialty demonstrations for the department school wide.
- Knitting Machines and computers: work with IT to update knitting software and computers when they come available. Maintain and repair knitting machines (Dubied, Stoll, Brother), linkers etc.
- Thread Knitting Machine to maintain proper function.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
- Associate's degree, in an accredited post-secondary institution of learning including related course work in the relevant subject area, and four years of related experience of which not less than two years must have been in a training or supervisor capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Bachelor's degree, or completion of four years in an accredited post-secondary institution of learning including related course work in the relevant subject area, and two years of related experience of which not less than one year must have been in a training or supervisory capacity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with both faculty and student populations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, self-motivation, and problem resolution skills; skilled in support of special art and technology hardware, software and peripherals.
- Ability to analyze problems and recommend solutions.
- Ability to interact effectively as either a leader or as a member of a team and work collaboratively with several topics, other departments; to listen to customers (e.g. students, staff, etc.) and to understand and respond positively to their requests; to work without close supervision.
Please note all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the background check process. Salary
Salary: $62,542 per year
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions of employment. Hiring Salary: $62,542.17 per year with step increments per Salary Schedule 85, after one year of service and annually thereafter. Work Schedule
Days/Hours: M-F, 30 hour work week, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. Visa Sponsorship
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org . Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be any combination of the classroom, lab, and/or office space. Certain roles may be required to handle machinery and chemicals. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and to frequently lift up to 25 lbs and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application materials.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually.
Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Classroom Assistant in the Textile Development and Marketing Department.