This role will drive newness and innovation in brand fabric. Extensive R&D and product development background is a must, bringing forth new ideas keeping within brand aesthetic and cost structure. This position will source seasonal design request with appropriate vendors and offer creative solutions if the request is outside of brands sourcing and pricing strategy. Individual will be strategic and proactive in sourcing fabrics keeping in mind current company initiatives such as speed 360 model, sustainability/traceability initiatives, and launch corporate data initiatives. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/ACCOUNTABILITIES
- The Senior Raw Material Manager is responsible for managing the overall process of developing fabrics that meet designer's aesthetic vision while balancing quality, cost and speed
- Maintain and develop a supply chain of raw material that align with the company requirement
Fabric Development and Sourcing:
- Partner and coordinate all phases of fabric research and development with an emphasis on forward aesthetic and strategic thinking to determine direction for future seasons while driving the business forward.
- Working knowledge and understanding of Production and product development with the ability to influence Design in support of Production.
- Manage the research and development of global fabrics that meet design aesthetic needs based on Brand's overall concepts and cost structure as it relates to our Brand Strategy
- Meet with Brand's key global fabric suppliers to gain clear understanding of future developments and competitive sourcing of fabrics.
- Attend quarterly meetings with cross functional partners ensuring Brand's needs are met.
- Completing and understanding seasonal analytics for strategic go forward plans. IE fabric counts to development ratio's, strategic mill lists are adhered to.
- Translate aesthetic into clear, executable direction for vendors and mills ensuring smooth handoff and seamless execution of product.
- Evaluation of mills for on boarding.
- Manage and train mills across defined region.
- Owns communication with mills, Hubs, Cross Function Team and corporate Raw Material (RM) team. Communicates directly with corporate Design team if needed.
- Connect with applicable suppliers in chemical finishes and yarns.
- Perform periodic SWOT analysis of mill performance and alignment to sourcing needs. Identify gaps, propose solutions to close gaps and work with mills to elevate
- Guide corporate team on textile knowledge and mill specific processes and technology
- Provide macro trend information available from mill that may impact the negotiation
- Analyze 4 lever costing information with negotiation of cost.
- Partner with mills on creative solutions to drive the shortest lead time while balancing cost and quality
- Negotiate to eliminate fabric liabilities wherever possible - sharing projections with L2 and align L1 / 2 in RM planning to ensure optimal use of capacity and inventory management.
- Collaborate with across brands to find out the cost leveraging opportunities
- Oversee fabric testing and ensure mills understand expectations and communicate as needed to QA to ensure final garment quality.
- Resolve any fabric related issues on the escalation review.
- Utilize technical expertise in collaboration with the mill to meet quality expectations. Proactively resolve quality issues
- Proactively monitor and meet calendar deadlines for approvals and mill execution. Ensure capacity to meet deadlines and manage resources as needed.
- Review and manage the process by analyzing metrics to determine effectiveness of current process. Surface ideas for improvement and identify any threats.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL CONTACTS
- Provide leadership to direct reports
- Work with direct reports to establish their goals
- Mentor and coach direct reports on performance expectations
- Influence peers and seek support from Director if difficulty in influencing upward.
Internal Contacts: Overseas offices, Garment sourcing teams, Fabric teams, Merchandising teams, Product Development teams, Raw Material team leaders, Supply Leadership Hub Leader
External Contacts: Mills, Garment Factories, Chemical Companies, Fiber Companies, Trim Suppliers; Leverage Leads (Colour, Testing, QA); Chemical suppliers DECISION MAKING
- Responsible for ensuring the efficiency and effectiveness of operations for the team.
- Make decisions at the best interest of brand and corporate.
- Timely issue resolution, in coordination with cross-functional stakeholders.
- Ability to lead Raw Material team
- Technical competence to support the brand teams' development needs
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE Education & Experience:
- Fast paced, multiple projects/priorities, highly visible, able to effectively interact with other associates at all levels within the organization with diverse personalities and skill levels.
- Degree in Textile or related subject
- Minimum 10 years relevant industry experience in textile or garment industry
- Thorough knowledge of knits, woven, yarn, dyeing and finishing. Extensive knowledge of raw materials, construction, costing, and capacity planning
- Needs to understand total supply chain from concept to consumer.
- Must have demonstrated leadership skills and a positive optimistic "can do" attitude.
- Detail oriented
- Strong organizational skills. Results & solutions driven.
- Ability to synthesize take complex issues and draw valid actionable fact-based conclusions.
- Able to drive change, coach, mentor and develop a high performing team.
- Able to establish and maintain strong working relationships cross-functionally and cross-divisionally, as well as externally.
- Ability to know when to direct teams in a leadership capacity and when to take a hands-on approach to deliver timely results.
- Strong negotiating skills in diverse cultural environments
- Ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Deadline-driven with a strong sense of urgency and accuracy
- Must process strong English communication skills and the ability to manage through influence.
- People management experience is a must.