The Sewing Machine Mechanic (Materials Assistant, CBA Title) will perform service, maintenance, and repair of sewing and sewing-related equipment. Responsibilities:
- Repair machinery in studio labs for the Fashion Department.
- Work with faculty to organize classrooms for the specific course needs on a semester by semester basis.
- Perform preventive maintenance inspections and service on equipment in accordance with an established maintenance schedule.
- Provide guidance to faculty and students on the proper and safe use of equipment.
- Assist students with replacing needles, threading machines, and removing jams, as well as issues with dress forms and steam stations.
- Maintain an accurate record of service history, repairs, and maintenance.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum of four (4) years of professional, mechanic and industry related experience.
- Reasonable fluency with machinery.
- Must demonstrate hand skills and practical fluency with sewing machines and irons. This position requires a strong initiative and the ability to follow through, oversee and complete projects.
Please note all offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the background check process. Salary
Salary: $60,685 per year
The UCE-FIT Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) dictates the compensation, benefits, and conditions of employment. Hiring Salary: $60,685 per year with step increments per Salary Schedule 92, after one year of service and annually thereafter. Bargaining Unit Title
Materials Assistant (CBA) Work Schedule
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
- 4-day Summer Workweek
- Qualifying Employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. Visa Sponsorship
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office, lab or classroom environment. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, frequently lifting 10-50 lbs, and occasionally lifting more than 50lbs. Application Instructions:
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application material.
Please note that due to the anticipated volume of applications, we are unable to contact each applicant about his or her application status.
For more information about us, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.eduAbout Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for a Sewing Machine Mechanic.