We are seeking a dynamic Computational Designer/Engineer with expertise in product design, parametric and algorithmic design strategies , advanced computational modeling and a strong background in the design industry. As a key member of our creation team, you will collaborate closely with our design and development teams to identify and implement integrative computational processes for the generation, evaluation and fabrication of performance-oriented models, with a particular focus on digital/robotic fabrication, streamline the product design processes, and engineer innovative products. Your mission will be to leverage your expertise in 2D and 3D software design tools to drive ground-breaking product design, while inspiring and implementing computational design strategies across all product functions.
As a Computational Designer/Engineer, you will:
- Use your expertise of computational design tools to help design ground-breaking product
- Utilize parametric, algorithmic and generative modeling techniques to create and optimize 3D models of footwear designs
- Collaborate with our Zurich and Vietnam based Innovation and inline development team on creating functional and performance-driven concepts
- Collaborate with the footwear designers to understand design concepts and translate them into digital models suitable for production using digital/robotic fabrication methods
- Employ rapid sketching and prototyping methods to bring blue sky innovation concepts to life and integrate them into holistic design projects, bridging the gap between innovation and inline design
- Develop concepts, mock-ups, visuals, 2D and 3D files for new projects
- Implement scripts and algorithms to generate custom G-codes to drive computer-controlled manufacturing machines based on design specifications
- Work closely with development and production teams to ensure the feasibility and efficiency of G-code generated designs for footwear production
- Focus on automation of G-code generation and optimization of material usage, production time and quality improvement through iterative testing and validation
- Stay updated on the latest advancements in computational design tools and CNC machining technologies to enhance the footwear design process
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify opportunities for innovation and improvement in the footwear design-to-production pipeline
- Communicate effectively with design, development and manufacturing teams to ensure a smooth transition from design concepts to production-ready files
- Inspire and implement computational design capabilities across all product functions, driving innovation and efficiency
- You hold a Bachelor or Master's degree in Product/industrial design, Architecture, Engineering or Computer Science
- You have 4+ years of experience using 2D and 3D design software with 2+ years experience in computational design or advanced CAD modeling.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and have expert skills in Rhino, Grasshopper, Adobe creative Suite as well as skills in Maya, Zbrush, or similar platforms. Design and programming with Python or C# is a plus
- You have experience with digital fabrication with CNC, additive manufacturing, robotics and understand numerically controlled manufacturing processes
- You have advanced knowledge of general manufacturing processes
- You have an innovative mind with a strong drive to pushing the boundaries of footwear design
- You are able to work independently under a deadline on several projects simultaneously requiring both innovative ideas and engineering problem-solving
- You have excellent communication skills and comfort adapting communication style between engineers, designers, product experts and cross-functional non-product creation partners
- You are fluent in English both written and spoken
Meet The Team
As an On team member, it's our purpose to disrupt the footwear market with innovative, highly functional designs. Understanding the consumer's needs, we translate them into efficient and successful products that are both engineered for the highest functional use and design-driven. We deliver performance without compromising on style, working at the intersection of design, innovation, product management, development and testing.
What We Offer
On is a place that is centered around growth and progress. We offer an environment designed to give people the tools to develop holistically - to stay active, to learn, explore and innovate. Our distinctive approach combines a supportive, team-oriented atmosphere, with access to personal self-care for both physical and mental well-being, so each person is led by purpose.
On is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a work environment that is fair and inclusive, where all decisions related to recruitment, advancement, and retention are free of discrimination.