Reporting to the Executive Director of Media and Public Relations and serving as an integral member of the Communications and External Relations (CER) department, the Director will support the Media and Public Relations unit in strengthening and elevating the college's reputation and contributing to the development and execution of integrated communications strategies covering key institutional initiatives, academic programs, and other. Responsibilities:
The portfolio of the Director includes the college, the FIT Foundation, the Social Justice Center at FIT, and The Museum at FIT (MFIT). Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for leading the successful day-to-day operations of the Media Relations unit in order to strengthen FIT's image as a global education leader in the creative industries. This includes involvement in the planning and implementation of communications strategies for key initiatives, leadership, and events; identifying compelling stories for external audiences in partnership with key faculty and administrators; and initiating innovative approaches to institutional visibility.
- Serve as the lead communications partner to the FIT Foundation, supporting advancement goals and collaborating closely with external partners and donors as needed.
- Create content distribution plans for earned media, and communications tools that can be utilized by a range of internal stakeholders to enhance their work in driving external engagement.
- Initiate and maintain a pitch calendar for the FIT news bureau, proactively securing thought leadership placements for faculty experts and executives.
- Develop reports to analyze and track earned and owned media results; identify new opportunities including long-lead, and continuously refine best practices.
- Evaluate and enhance the unit's processes and procedures to maximize operational efficiencies.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with colleagues, industry partners, and the press.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities required of the position; other duties may be assigned consistent with the classification of the position.Requirements: Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 5-10 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in managing social media platforms, overseeing high-profile event publicity and logistics, and leading proactive and reactive media outreach.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience managing employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical skills
- Superior judgment and the ability to synthesize information and prioritize responsibilities.
- Experience collaborating with diverse teams from globally recognized brands and/or institutions.
- Supervisory experience managing a professional staff.
- Ability to detect public relations issues and quickly respond to potential crisis situations.
- Demonstrated success in managing complex projects.
- Enthusiasm for the creative industries.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled. Successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made. Salary
Starting Salary: $120,000 to $125,000 per year; commensurate with experience and qualifications. Work Schedule
Days/Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm, in person; work schedule subject to change based on needs of the department. Benefits
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) provides comprehensive employee benefit programs designed to help keep our faculty and staff and their families healthy, safe, happy, and productive. Our programs also include a variety of components to help our employees improve the quality and balance of their work and family lives, and to help them prepare for their futures.
- Retirement Plans
- Health Care Plan and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter Benefit Plan
- FIT Tuition Exemption Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Personal, Sick and Holidays)
- 4-day Summer Workweek
For a full list of FIT benefits, visit our benefits webpage . Pay Equity by State Employers
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com. Visa Sponsorship
Fashion Institute of Technology is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, firstname.lastname@example.org. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements
This position will be required to constantly read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, constantly analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be on campus, primarily in an office environment. The physical requirement for this position will require constant sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, occasional walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less. Application Instructions:
In order to considered for this position, please submit the following documents online:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial transcript
- A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Returning Applicants - Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your submitted application materials.
Review of applications will begin immediately until the position is filled.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually.
Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: http://www.fitnyc.edu .About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), part of the State University of New York and an internationally renowned college of art, design, business and technology with a strong emphasis on liberal arts, invites nominations and applications for the Director of Communications.